Trigger wheel mounting on Nissan SR20DE or DET

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
crash69
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 62

Trigger wheel mounting on Nissan SR20DE or DET

Post by crash69 »

Im new to fitting ECU,s to engines, so please bare with me. LOL. Has anyone any idea to do this. I have got a 36-1 trigger wheel and mounting it on the crank pulley. I have machined the crank pulley to match the trigger wheel ad need to know in relation to TDC where to put the missing tooth and crank trigger.

As Nissan SR20 motors run a CAS unit which has 4 Crank trigger slots and 360 Cam trigger slots, do I need to fit a Crank trigger as well and use the trigger wheel as a Cam position sensor?

Any help would be appreciated
Don
turn right.... go fast.... turn right
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Trigger wheel mounting on Nissan SR20DE or DET

Post by stevieturbo »

I'm guessing you havent either read the manual, any instructions, or the wiring diagrams ?

Page 3 of the wiring diagram gives a clue...the section with two specific Nissan trigger setups.

http://www.dtafast.co.uk/Downloads/Wiri ... iagram.pdf

If however you choose not to use the original Nissan setup and install a new crank trigger, then page 74 almost explains.
Fortunately the S series is more flexible than the older ecu's in that the trailing edge of the missing tooth can pretty much fall anywhere and you just tell the software where it is.
But I would say it is good practice to put it around 70-90deg BTDC cyl 1 on it's firing stroke.

http://www.dtafast.co.uk/Downloads/Manu ... Manual.pdf

But you certainly do not need a 36-1 crank trigger as well as the original Nissan trigger system.

Common sense for an easy install would be just to use the Nissan trigger and dont **** about with making anything.
Last edited by stevieturbo on Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crash69

Post by crash69 »

Thanks Steve for all that, but having loads of problems with Nissan CAS unit. Its only picking up the crank signal on both the Nissan CAS units I have, and I have checked that the wiring is correct and going to the right pin [23] on the ECU.
Dont think the supply voltage which is 5 Volt from the S60 is sufficient to get a decent return pulse to the S60. If my memory is correct the original supply to power the Nissan CAS is 12V, so 5 Volts might be enough to drive the Hall Effect sensors and / or give a decent output.
On the diagnostics screen when I am trying to start the engine, it does syncronise but not getting any cam pulses
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Seems this post could also be a red herring, but I'll leave it here anyway just in case he is on old firmware as per ignition's post below., but take note of below for older stuff about using pin 23.

Last edited by stevieturbo on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

stevie that diagram you linked in previous post says this:

Note:- Before Firmware V49.02 Connect TDC
signal to Undriven wheel speed on the ECU
sensor connector, after V49.02 the normal
Cam input

-which would be 23. I assume that image is from a old firmware version wiring diagram.

Make sure you're running latest firmware and try again I guess.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

ignitionautosport wrote:stevie that diagram you linked in previous post says this:

Note:- Before Firmware V49.02 Connect TDC
signal to Undriven wheel speed on the ECU
sensor connector, after V49.02 the normal
Cam input

-which would be 23. I assume that image is from a old firmware version wiring diagram.

Make sure you're running latest firmware and try again I guess.
In fairness my original post linked to the S80 wiring. I only noticed after he was using the S60 which I then corrected.

Although you are correct. The wiring diagrams I have saved on my computer are still the old ones as I pictured above. The new ones are different. Guess I also need to keep updated ! Still makes no sense then. If the 360 is readable, then so should the other one. I doubt the power supply is the issue.
crash69

Post by crash69 »

Have checked with a scope and 360 pulses are deformed on all the CAS units I have got when running them on 5 Volt supply. Only at about 8 Volts and upwards are the wave forms looking much better. At 14.8 V the wave forms are at about their best.
Anyway, I tried swapping leads around and dont even get a pulse at all, using the Crank scope and trying to grab a wave form takes about 2 minutes of cranking for a single grab, so something definately wrong with CAS units or supply voltage.
To overcome all the problems, I have fitted a 36 -1 wheel and in process of doing one for the cam as Im running 4 coils and in sequential mode.
Hopefully by tomorrow I shall have motor running
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

If the CAS works at 12v and is safe, can you just run it at 12v ?

Guess no need to worry now anyway, dedicated crank trigger is probably best
crash69

Post by crash69 »

The S60 supplies 5V from sensor supply, not sure if a seperate 12V supply would effect the S60. Not prepared to try and fry the ECU .....
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

Running them on 12V would have been best for them, however crank trigger is even better option for accuracy.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |