ABS sensors

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
mefmotorsport
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: Mefmotorsport
Firmware Version: 79

ABS sensors

Post by mefmotorsport »

I've asked about this before on the old forum but had no answers!

I have some BMW ABS wheel speed sensors, they are 2 wire devices but I dont think they're inductive as you cant measure any resistance between the wires.

I suspect they are "active devices, like a hall effect device but only have 2 wires, not 3 as per normal hall effect. I came across some similar ones on my Citroen C2. I'm thinking that one wire is ground, the other being the signal and supply wire using an external pull-up resistor

I've tried earthing one wire and putting a 10K pull-up resistor up to 5v or 12v on the other wire and looked on that wire for a signal on a scope whilst running a crank chopper disc on a battery drill in front of the sensor but have seen nothing at all, even tried it with the wires reversed.

I'd really like to get these working as it's difficult to mount a normal hall effect sensor on the BMW hubs for my traction control etc with my S80

Can anyone throw any light on this?

Thanks,

Martin
phazer

Re: ABS sensors

Post by phazer »

Now forgive any ignorance here as I'm no electronics expert...

I'm pretty sure that some ECUs run sensors that are basically like a variable resistor, so the wiring is a feeback loop. Would this be called a voltage divider?

Basically put a known voltage in one side and read the voltage the other side to get your 'value' from the sensor.
"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
That way, if you decide you don't like him, you're a mile away from him with his shoes".

Nova SRi 1.6 16v TBs / DTA E48 1/4@14.8s
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

Yeah but he stated there isn't a circuit? Am keen to find out myself, something I haven't had to deal with yet.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
phazer

Post by phazer »

I know but there must be something *in* the sensor package.

I forget much of the detail but I was reading about an OEM two wire sensor that did as I described without any external circuitry. Just wish I could remember what it was as it would be useful here. I have a crap memory though.
"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
That way, if you decide you don't like him, you're a mile away from him with his shoes".

Nova SRi 1.6 16v TBs / DTA E48 1/4@14.8s
Jon K
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

The reason this may be important to some is because some ECUs and traction control computers require hall sensor inputs but BMW wheel speed sensors are VR sensors. Hall sensors are actually much more accurate than VR sensors - they can measure near zero-motion while VR sensor needs the ferrous metal to pass with some velocity to generate voltage. The faster the trigger wheel turns, the greater the amplitude of voltage that comes out of a VR sensor (the humps are higher, aka more voltage). Problem is, at low speed, the amplitude may be insufficient to trigger the ECU. If you have noise on a wire (which you get from ignition coils, etc spewing current) you risk false triggers. Therefore, you need to look at a signal that is higher in amplitude than potential noise on the wire - however the amplitude (voltage) will be low on a VR sensor wire until the wheel (crank, cam, wheel speed, whatever) is moving decently so you end up not being able to measure the motion until its moving fast.

It is for this reason that most cars with VR sensors in the cam position do not run sequential injection or ignition until over a certain RPM - because at lower RPM (cam moves 1/2 as fast as the crank) the rotation can be very slow. There's not enough signal generated and sync cannot be made reliably so the car will run wasted spark/batch injection until the cam sensor is seeing a tooth faster.

Anyway - todays technology can interpret even low speed VR sensors and output square wave signals (5v, 0v, 5v, 0v,....) reliably even at low speeds by having adaptive circuitry that monitors amplitude. Sometimes its easy to make a trigger wheel and point a hall sensor at it and feed that into an ECU, datalogger, or traction control module. Sometimes the ECU, datalogger, or traction control module will accept VR sensor input and do its own conversion - other times you need to convert. MegaSquirt always had an issue interpreting VR signals. I conditioned mine over a couple years to work (mostly) reliably but every now and then I'd get a hiccup. If this board had been available I would have converted it outside of MegaSquirt and fed it in.

So up next we have some science. I know this sort of thing is not for everyone so please bear with me.

BMW decided to use VR sensors for the ABS sensors to pickup wheel speed. Totally fine, I suppose. MPH is fed into the cluster via a more precise toothed trigger wheel and sensor in the diff. DTA, for example, only accepts square wave hall sensor inputs. Its very desirable to have wheel speed input because you can then setup traction control, boost by mph, calculate current gear (transmission output rpm vs engine rpm vs wheel speed rpm = gear ratio), then do boost by gear, traction by gear or mph, pit lane/speed limiter, etc. So, naturally, the options are to replace the VR sensors with a hall sensor or convert the signal. Ideally, I'd like to replace with a hall sensor. Problem is, the VR sensors in use are a little "special". They go in axially to the ABS tone ring, but at the end have a 90 degree pointed magnet that allow them to read perpendicularly. I can't find any readily available hall sensor that will imitate this. That means my only real option then is to see if we could plasma cut some toothed trigger rings to attach somewhere, fab up brackets, etc., run wires... and you can see why this is a pain. Ideally it all needs to fit behind the rotor/wheel bearing, as well.

The board above is super small - I picked it up because it has two hall conversion circuits on it. I actually built a board similar to this from the same supplier previously, but it was much larger and I didn't get around to installing it as the wiring was more of a pain. This little guy is about the size of a quarter across and tall. I have a pot box to drop it in and finally received my potting epoxy here at home. I was going to have it potted at work but its a pain because they have their production cycle going and they need to know what compounds I want, heat cure settings, etc. So, I decided to just buy the epoxy from Mouser. Later today I am going to mix it and drop it in. Since I won't be firing it to 65C it will take a day or two to cure. That's fine since I am in the condition I am in right now. I bought the compound the seller of the board was using, which honestly is a bit overkill as its "high temperature" - it will withstand 100% duty of 437F. Definitely not needed. They make (they being MG chemicals btw) a faster curing potting compound that will work at a service temperature of 280F. But, I guess this model is the only one rated for "thermal conductivity" meaning it will function as a heatsink. Not sure this unit is going to give off much/any heat, but whatever.

The white wires are PTFE shielded 2 conductor wires. The right hand side is input from the chassis so there are two inputs (4 wires). I decided to shield the cables (PITA!). I needed to run a small jumper wire from the small shielding pad tot he shielding. A little frail if it were to be left out, but since it'll be potted, no harm at all. Its basically going to be encapsulated in epoxy. The left hand side has a single shielded output (2 conductor, so two signals out), power, and ground.

I went to pot the board in the potting box but found out that I received two Part A's of the two-part epoxy, so I had no hardener. Awesome. I did LiveChat with Mouser and they apologized and sent a replacement kit overnight from CA to Philly, I got it at 9AM lol. Insane. So I mixed it and poured it - what a PITA. It's messy. The wires should clean up once it dries since the wires will flex and the potting will not, so it should peel right off.

Now its just a waiting game. Its in the trunk of my land rover in the sun to heat it up lol. I touched it when taking the photo and its already setting up, doesnt deform, but I guess it needs a while to fully cure.

Finished this guy up using deutsch connectors as usual.

Here is the output of the VR to Hall converter at like parking lot speed. I tried recording at higher speed but I think it loops over the recordings.

Here is a capture at ~25 mph

Purple line = MPH

I stripped a lot of the fields out to not confuse anybody. For that line I am just reading Left Driven Speed (left rear).

As you can see it works very well and gives a nice smooth output with no noise or bumps or jaggies anywhere - this means you can really dial in traction or boost or whatever you want without worry of false-trigger. It won't be cruising at 40 mph and then spike 60 mph for a sec unless of course you lose traction, in which case you can invoke the traction control methodology.
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Totally unrelated But I wonder does this modify the signal to a more usable form ?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... rm=KEYWORD

I bought one recently after fitting different clocks to my car and needed to adjust the speedo. It clips the incoming circuit, and you have a choice of different outgoing signals.

So maybe it might work too ?

Certainly worked to correct my speedo, and even I was able to build it !!
Jon K

Post by Jon K »

stevieturbo wrote:Totally unrelated But I wonder does this modify the signal to a more usable form ?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... rm=KEYWORD

I bought one recently after fitting different clocks to my car and needed to adjust the speedo. It clips the incoming circuit, and you have a choice of different outgoing signals.

So maybe it might work too ?

Certainly worked to correct my speedo, and even I was able to build it !!
Looks like it might. Only downside is that you have to build it. Same price you get that itty bitty teeny tiny board in the pic above all surface mount and ready to rock and roll!

Welcome Stevie! Slayer of engines! :(
mefmotorsport

Post by mefmotorsport »

maybe I should go with these: http://export.rsdelivers.com/product/as ... spx#header

Rather expensive at £33 + VAT but the 12mm diameter thread will fit the BMW hubs in the original mounting holes and work on the magnetic pulse thingy built into the bearing.

Martin
Jon K

Post by Jon K »

Martin do you have the stock BMW tone rings and abs sensors? If so, give these converter boards a shot. The area that the BMW abs sensors have to go is so annoying - just behind the rotor and at a perpendicular angle.

http://www.jbperf.com/dual_VR/v2_0.html
mefmotorsport

Post by mefmotorsport »

Jon K wrote:Martin do you have the stock BMW tone rings and abs sensors? If so, give these converter boards a shot. The area that the BMW abs sensors have to go is so annoying - just behind the rotor and at a perpendicular angle.

http://www.jbperf.com/dual_VR/v2_0.html
Yes, I did look at buying these but then when I was trying to test the BMW sensors I wasn't convinced that my BMW ones are VR types so I didn't bother with buying them.

Of course it might be that there is a built in DC blocking capacitor of course?

maybe I should rig one up and have another look with the scope. I have loads of sensors and the magnets are built into the back of the wheel bearings on the current 1 & 3 series BM's (just like on my Citroen C2)

Martin