Wiring wasted spark on a odd fire V10 (s100)

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
Christofer
ECU Model: S100 Pro

Wiring wasted spark on a odd fire V10 (s100)

Post by Christofer »

Hi guys and girls. Im currently working on a 2004 dodge viper V10 engine to retrofit in a vintage 68 Dodge Charger.

This engine is a 18 degree odd fire setup and what I try to achieve here is to use the stock wasted spark coil setup. I cant find any info if you can setup the ignition with just 5 outputs and still control them sequential on a 10 cyl. Normally wasted spark is only used on even fire engines.
Is this setup option possible on my DTA s100 pro?

If it cant be done I have to wire 2 outputs to every coil and run them as a cop setup.

Best regards
Christofer, Sweden
Rob Stevens
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: Wiring wasted spark on a odd fire V10 (s100)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Are there any cylinders that fire 180 degrees apart? Interesting question and I suggest you contact DTA before you wire 2 outputs to a single coil.
Christofer

Post by Christofer »

Its build like two even fire I5 engines chairing the same crankshaft. Due to harmonics the there has to be a offset of 18 degrees. So there is never two pistons in top at the same time.

Do someone know how the output works in dta? Does it switch from -12v to +12 or does it switch from -12v to 0?
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Depends what setup you are using.

If using the onboard ignitors, ie 2 wire inductive coils, then the DTA supplies a ground to charge, and removes it to fire the coil, as per any conventional setup.
Whilst I havent scoped it....this may go 0v to charge and 12v to fire. Same odds really.

For "External coil amps"

DTA will supply a 12v signal to charge, this then drops to 0v to fire the coil, ie falling edge. Most coils if this type would work off a 5v signal, but DTA achieves this behaviour with pullup resistors and inverting the coil trigger...or something along those lines, hence the 12v.
I'd say with a bigger pullup resistor, this voltage could be reduced

Assuming you have 10x coils, just wire them to the 10 x DTA outputs.

If you have 5 coils, how many wires does each coil have ?

I guess you could run 5 trigger wires, and just fill in the COP table with the 5 firing angles, and then the same 5 firing angles for the next 5 ?
Christofer

Post by Christofer »

The oem coils that I use is an inductive coilpack. One +wire and 5 wires are ground charged. So there is no internal driver in the coilpack.
So my idea is to wire them up as cop with two outputs to every coil and protect the outputs with diods.

If I would do as you suggest, would´t that be the same as running the coils in twostroke mode? Or does dta have individual cylinder trim more than the cop table?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Not really sure.

I guess wiring them using all 10 outputs and a diode may work. Not sure it is actually necessary though ?

I think it's one you'd definitely need to email DTA about.
Christofer

Post by Christofer »

This is the cop firing order: 0,54,144,198,288,342,432,486,576,630

Please post if you come up with something. I will post an email to dta and see what they say. Guess it will take some time to get an answer from them.
Roverdose
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: Roverdose

Post by Roverdose »

i think there is a possibility of using twin spark with an 18dgr offset. ill have to take a look back at the manual though as ive not tried that myself.

Drew
Christofer

Post by Christofer »

Twin spark has a maximuim offset of 15 degrees? And would that really work the way I want? Would´t it has to be 360+18 for that function to work?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Not just stick 10 x LS style coils onto it ? Can be done very neatly when fitted to the rocker covers like the LS engines, and means no messy plug leads.

Although obviously it is an extra expense

I'm sure DTA are closed for Christmas, not a lot can be done about that really.