Subaru sensors

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
learner
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 66

Subaru sensors

Post by learner »

Hi all,

Anyone with Subaru experience that is kind enough to share sensor's information?

Car in question is a 1997 impreza STI.

Any info regarding crank/cam sensors, coolant, iat etc is welcomed and appreciated, I don't have a clue about what they run.

Car will be converted to run a dta s80 for future developments.

Thanks in advance
Panos
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Subaru sensors

Post by stevieturbo »

learner wrote:Hi all,

Anyone with Subaru experience that is kind enough to share sensor's information?

Car in question is a 1997 impreza STI.

Any info regarding crank/cam sensors, coolant, iat etc is welcomed and appreciated, I don't have a clue about what they run.

Car will be converted to run a dta s80 for future developments.

Thanks in advance
Panos
A DTA will not work with the OEM crank/cam triggers you have.

MAP sensor will be easy to DIY calibrate, TPS likewise.

Coolant temperature you will need to do yourself, but the standard Bosch NTC setting will still give sensible readings, but not correct.

As there is only an air temp sensor in the MAF unit as standard, you would be best to add an air temp sensor in a boost pipe anyway, as you would be removing the MAF.

And really, it would be best to install a known coolant temp sensor too if you are unable to perform a manual sensor calibration for the Subaru sensor.
At 97, not 100% sure if there is one sensor for both dash gauge and ecu, or if it still uses two separate sensors. I think it is two, which makes that a little easier, they arent easy to get at though.

Re Crank/cam

if you fit the later MY2001+ 36-2-2 crank wheel, you might be able to run off that on it's own, and may be able to get sequential working off the 97 camwheel, by using the cam tooth mask feature.

Either that or physically removing the teeth from the camwheel and leaving only one tooth.
learner

Post by learner »

stevieturbo wrote:
A DTA will not work with the OEM crank/cam triggers you have.

MAP sensor will be easy to DIY calibrate, TPS likewise.

Coolant temperature you will need to do yourself, but the standard Bosch NTC setting will still give sensible readings, but not correct.

As there is only an air temp sensor in the MAF unit as standard, you would be best to add an air temp sensor in a boost pipe anyway, as you would be removing the MAF.

And really, it would be best to install a known coolant temp sensor too if you are unable to perform a manual sensor calibration for the Subaru sensor.
At 97, not 100% sure if there is one sensor for both dash gauge and ecu, or if it still uses two separate sensors. I think it is two, which makes that a little easier, they arent easy to get at though.

Re Crank/cam

if you fit the later MY2001+ 36-2-2 crank wheel, you might be able to run off that on it's own, and may be able to get sequential working off the 97 camwheel, by using the cam tooth mask feature.

Either that or physically removing the teeth from the camwheel and leaving only one tooth.
Hi Stevie,

I was expecting your reply. Also, before posting this I read an older thread in which you posted similar info.

Thank you for your help.

I guess that 36-2-2-2 crank pulley is just plug and play? What is the crank setup on these old models?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

There is a setup in general engine settings for the 36-2-2-2 crank wheel. However I'm not sure whether DTA will be happy with the OEM cam wheel with multiple teeth.

Again, you could probably use the mask feature to try and hide some cam teeth from the ecu so effectively it only sees one, or best option is to remove all but one tooth from the camwheel. Then there is no doubt.

The old cars use a 6 tooth wheel, ie this is what is on pre 2001 cars

Same site also gives info on the 2001+ triggers

http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page= ... woMinusTwo

2001+ cam wheels have 2 teeth, but they wont fit your camshafts anyway so that isnt an option

I've seen people in the past make their own multitooth wheel to replace the 6 tooth section of the older cars. But when the 36-2-2-2 wheel is readily available, cant see any point in that
learner

Post by learner »

Thanks for the details Stevie.

I will source a MY2001+ crank wheel and go from there. Sequential injection might not be needed so will see later what to do with the cam wheel.

Any info on the coil?
mefmotorsport
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: Mefmotorsport
Firmware Version: 79

Post by mefmotorsport »

I think the 1997 engine has the centrally mounted wasted spark coil which you can drive direct from the dta, (no amplifier module is required like before)

I seem to remember that the camwheels are plastic and have either 2 3 or 4 magnets embedded in them, you will have to inspect them. It might be impossible to remove them.

You can runi this engine on a simple and inexpensive S40 but I have never seen anyone do it.

Martin
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

I think Rocar has done some Subarus in Malta, I know he asked some time ago.

Martin is correct, MY97/98 with the centrally mounted coil is a normal inductive wasted spark coil and can be driven directly from DTA

Some earlier 4 coil models, 2 wire are also inductive. Later models with side mounted 4 tower have a built in amp, as do COP with 3 wires, again built in ignitors.

Plastic camwheels have metal inserts, some earlier cars had steel camwheels though with simple teeth formed into them, most are a 3, 1, 2, 1 pattern, later cars 2001+ having only 2 teeth.
learner

Post by learner »

Thank you Martin and Steve for the help :!:
learner

Post by learner »

Hello guys,

Just finished wiring on this one. I don't have a clue on how to setup the crank trigger settings. Can anyone help? I used the 36-2-2-2 as advised.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

the 36-2-2-2-2-2-2 whatever it is is covered in the drop down menu list, item 4 subaru 36 tooth.

Although not 100% sure what it expects to see for the cam trigger, whether OEM or a single tooth. Or it may be happy running batch fire and no cam sensor.

Alex could advise.