Flex fuel sensor

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Flex fuel sensor

Post by stevieturbo »

Given the Continetnal sensor seems to be the most widely used, would it make sense to test it and give it as an option ? Especially as it's a fraction of the price of the GM sensor.
adamw

Post by adamw »

The output signals are identical between the two common Siemens & Continental FCS. The only difference that I know of that may effect the compatibility with DTA is the Siemens (GM) needs a stronger pull-up to 5V, typically 2.2K, whereas the Continental wont drive a load of any more than about 3K.
I don't know what value pull-up DTA use on its DI or if it can be turned off by software or perhaps a PCB jumper but if the pull-up is lower than about 3K the Continental sensor wont work (at least reliably).
gnutz2
ECU Model: S100 Pro

Post by gnutz2 »

On a side note, does anyone know if these ethanol sensors will work with methanol.

I run 20% meth and this would make the car a lot more practical.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

gnutz2 wrote:On a side note, does anyone know if these ethanol sensors will work with methanol.

I havent tried it myself, but I know some of the Subaru guys using the Continental sensor have reported it does recognise a difference when methanol is added.
gnutz2
ECU Model: S100 Pro

Post by gnutz2 »

Thanks, nice to know, although its a shame they're so expensive.

Just to clarify, the GM sensor (that dta supports) outputs a duty cycle and frequency based on ethanol and temperature and the cheap continental sensors put out 0-5v based on ethanol content.

So quite simply we could use the continental sensor wired to a spare auxiliary input and adjust the fuel and timing from there.
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

stevieturbo wrote:
gnutz2 wrote:On a side note, does anyone know if these ethanol sensors will work with methanol.

I havent tried it myself, but I know some of the Subaru guys using the Continental sensor have reported it does recognise a difference when methanol is added.
No - methanol will give an incorrect/odd reading, as will water absorbed in ethanol.
Had a race team using E85 tell us the ethanol content readout we made using one of these sensors was wrong - turns out they were using old fuel.

I'm curious how this would work with what we have available in NZ, E100 readily available here is denatured with 1.5% methanol. E85 has 0.5 to 1% methanol from memory (the race stuff at least).
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

methanol will give a reading, how you calibrate the reading is up to you, but based on Tim's testing, whether ethanol or methanol the sensor doesnt differentiate.

Obviously this would then get awkward if wanting to mix petrol, methanol and ethanol. I'd doubt many would do that though

http://bbs.22b.com/forums/showthread.ph ... ensors-EOI

And I thought most flex fuel sensors are frequency based ? Although technically the output is still in the 0-5v range
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

other interesting info

http://www.gtrheritage.com/topic/2770-b ... ely-blown/

Interesting these guys mention a Ford sensor, that looks very like the GM sensor

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showth ... uel-sensor

But both threads seem to suggest they all operate within quite similar ranges and ways
maxiice
Firmware Version: 63

Post by maxiice »

Well we cant find out until someone tries i guess.

Also my car it tuned on E85, so only need this for a few hours of winter driving, not that E85 cant be runnd in freezing cold weather, but i don't need the extra HP in the winter, and pump gas is easier to find, and better for the injectors for storing all winter
maxiice
Firmware Version: 63

Post by maxiice »

:D
Fond new GM sensor for 150$ on ebay, :)
I have only seen usen ones in this pricerange, so i got that one