S60 traction control

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
shortie2
ECU Model: S80 Pro

S60 traction control

Post by shortie2 »

Any recommendations of which type wheel speed sensor also dash level adjust pot type /value to use on Ana 1 ?
gnutz2
ECU Model: S100 Pro

Re: S60 traction control

Post by gnutz2 »

Any NPN hall sensor will do for a speed sensor, most sensors have a working voltage of 6-36vdc but I've found work fine with only 5vdc.

Not sure on the pot, I imagine any 270 linear pot would do.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

This is the type of pot I used

http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/92954-bi-tec ... rn-5k.html

or this

http://cpc.farnell.com/vishay-spectrol/ ... 34B1502JLB

Being a full rotary 10 turn pot though, you also need some sort of counter so you know where it is.

Allan told me to use this for that purpose.

http://cpc.farnell.com/bi-technologies- ... NTING+DIAL

Neither overly pretty.

I dont use DTA anymore, so cant test this, but I see no real reason why it wouldn work. You could get one of these cal switches normally used with Syvecs.
It's just a 12 position rotary switch, ie click click click with a resistor chain which will yield different voltages.

Normally it wants the ecu to provide a pullup on the input wire and sensor ground to the other. So you may need to manually add a pullup if the Analogue input doesnt already do this.

http://www.jti.uk.com/product-category/cal-switches/

But it would be a far neater option than the 10 turn put and rotary counter.

For wheel speed hall sensor, the most commonly used is the Honeywell GT101.
gnutz2

Post by gnutz2 »

I've just ordered a 12 position rotary switch and have lots of resistors so ill be trying this (cal switch jobbie) on DTA, see no reason why it wouldn't work.
shortie2

Post by shortie2 »

I quite like the idea of that 12 click potentiometer, so does anyone its resistance value ?
If its 5k linear would you use a 4.7k pullup to 5v? Ie almost a 50/50 split?
Could the same 50/50 split be applied if the 12 position pot was 10k ,ie a 10k pullup ?
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

I know it's a different resistor in every link. I've a spare one sitting here, so will try and get some measurements later.

TBH as JTI/Tim sells them all done up and with the knob/dial etc...I really wouldnt be bothered trying to make one myself lol

This is the underside, although this one the chain was started at the wrong pin so ended up with only 11 positions so dont copy it exactly.

I dont know what the resistances are, but it ends up at around 0.4-0.5v per click starting from 0.1v on my Syvecs.

Being creative on other analogue inputs, you could easily use a switch to generically add/remove fuel or timing across the entire table via one of the analogue input tables based on the voltage to the input, in a similar way to the dyno box, but without having to be on the dyno screen at the time, if such a thing would even be of any use.
PhillipM
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by PhillipM »

That's what I've done on the rear of mine - 10 position rotary with 0.5w resistor chain (bit smaller than those above, makes things a bit neater)
gnutz2

Post by gnutz2 »

Hi Phillip, can you remember what size resistors you used and for the wiring was it, 5v to one wire and ana 1 to the other?
shortie2

Post by shortie2 »

Its all about ohms law...........
If you use a 4.7k resistor between the 5v feed and Ana 1 and then a switching resistor network between ana 1 and 0v you create a variable voltage to ana1
IE , if you want 3.5 volts at ana 1 this means 1.5v dropped across the 4k7 resistor,
using ohms law I=V/R (1.5/4700) = 0.000319,
using this you can now calculate the resistance needed using R=V/I (3.5/0.000319) = 10971 ohms , now you only get preffered value resistors but you will get something close
shortie2

Post by shortie2 »

Right , I have mine all hooked up mechanically and wiring wise ,I have a 12 way pot to vary ana 1 between 5v and 0v and a Gt101 on the front wheels, ive filled out the fields for all the wheel speeds etc .

I just need some initial traction settings for slip percentage ,cut etc etc
any ideas?

The car is a tarmac rally car and my main aim is to help stopping the car stepping out on the higher speed stuff when the grip is low and variable example below , notable at 30-35 secs and 4min 10-16 secs