Honda blackbird first start

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
SimonR
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Re: Honda blackbird first start

Post by SimonR »

It is wired for wasted spark, using the same coils and leads as original.

If I tick the coil on plug box it sounds like its trying to start, maybe on a couple of cylinders.

When I don't tick the coil on plug box it doesn't fire at all when cranking, but fires once as a loose the key.
katana
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

If you disable the cam sync - surely a 12 tooth / no gap wheel won't work - wasted spark or otherwise as the ecu has no reference point to workout timing from?
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

katana wrote:If you disable the cam sync - surely a 12 tooth / no gap wheel won't work - wasted spark or otherwise as the ecu has no reference point to workout timing from?
Doh. Note to self, don't skim read.
Ignore my post above, it won't work as katana says.

If you've made any changes, just reload the map I uploaded, and start again.

Redo the crank oscilloscope, and use the Save Pic button so we can clearly see what's happening.

Also check if it's syncing after uploading the map again.
If it is syncing, try giving it a bit of throttle while cranking.
SimonR

Post by SimonR »

Hopefully this uploads.

Ive done 1 with all plugs in, 1 with just number 1 plug in and another with all plugs in but one coil per plug turned off

Its the map that sparrow posted and Ive not altered anything, I only turned one coil per plug off to do the one oscilloscope pic

With one coil per plug turned on it is trying to start a bit, Ive tried some throttle and it didnt make any difference.

I thought I'd done the hardest part of the conversion, I cant get my head around all this.

thanks all for your help
Attachments
only one plug (2).jpg
crank osc coil on plug off (2).jpg
all plugs in (2).jpg
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Something is very wrong there. None of those are showing the teeth numbers on the top of image. Compare those to the first one you posted, which had 24 and 12 across the top.
As it's set up now, it will not start.

How did you generate the first image? When stevie said just one plug in, he meant just one spark plug in cylinder one. It looks like you've disconnected the crank sensor plug.

Plug all the connectors back in for the crank and cam, and try again.
SimonR

Post by SimonR »

I just pulled the leads off 2 3 and 4, nothing else
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

No, take the plugs out (bar 1), that way it becomes much clearar
SimonR

Post by SimonR »

Just tried again, I can't make it do that again by removing the 3 leads, or I can't get it to register any numbers in white.

But I have found some timing marks and with a timing lamp it's flashing about 20deg btdc, but it's only flashing once per revolution, shouldn't it be flashing twice for the wasted spark?
SimonR

Post by SimonR »

I've had another look, if I change the start up tooth in general engine settings from 1 to 0 the timing looks spot on, but it still won't start.

It's getting fuel because it's coughing and spluttering, what else could I try?
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

If you are using outputs 1 and 2 only on a 2 output wastes spark coil, ticking 'twin spark only replicates the 1 and 2 sparks on outputs 3 and 4. So it will make no odds.

If it won't go try squirting more fuel in directly or try easy start?

As you have a 12-0 crank trigger it is imperative that the cam sensor is working well, I run a Hyabusa and that came with an 12-0 but I milled that into a 24-2 so the cam sensor could be disregarded. But that may not be convenient.