E48 throttle stops

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
thethinkingman
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Firmware Version: 34.0

E48 throttle stops

Post by thethinkingman »

I have been adjusting the butterfly valve on the throttle body via the adjustment screw, when i make adjustments do i need to re calibrate the throttle stops?
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: E48 throttle stops

Post by stevieturbo »

That depends how you had calibrated the throttle stops in the first place.
thethinkingman

Post by thethinkingman »

In Set throttle stops i pressed OK when closed and vice versa when open
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

I'd say yes, I prefer always to have the idle position at exactly 0% throttle. That way you can quickly incert a new sensor if ever required without having to touch the throttle stop.
If you are trying to find the best idle settings I recommend having a hot idle of 2-4 degrees ignition advance, assuming you have checked with a timing light.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

thethinkingman wrote:In Set throttle stops i pressed OK when closed and vice versa when open

Yes...but was the blade open or closed when you did that ?

Or just your foot on or off the throttle...the two may not be the same thing.

Unlike Rob, I prefer closed to mean closed. ie blade is totally closed and open is fully open

Then the stops never need re-set after that.
thethinkingman

Post by thethinkingman »

When i set the stops, the blade was 100% closed then hit ok then wide open - ok. After i did this i opened up the blade slightly to allow air to get in. I was going to buy an idle solenoid but i was told that the old e48 doesnt control them very well plus my idle is actually fairly steady cold and hot.
The other thing that worries me is say later on if i need to replace the throttle body or TPS what would happen with stop values then?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

thethinkingman wrote: The other thing that worries me is say later on if i need to replace the throttle body or TPS what would happen with stop values then?

You simply re-set them again.

However if the TB is a different size, the ecu will need re-tuned again too.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

I believe idle should be 0% throttle because.
1. You are then working on a defined map cell, not interpolating between 2 cells at say 2.65% throttle.
2. You are using the full resolution that the system offers.
3. You can easily change the TPS sensor in the field because you don't have to touch the idle screw and risk loosing its settings.

However DTA does offer the tools to set it at the very closed position should you wish.

On the idle valve E48 auxillary can be used for this, 2nd injector or turbo, but not more than one of these things
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

stevieturbo wrote:
thethinkingman wrote: The other thing that worries me is say later on if i need to replace the throttle body or TPS what would happen with stop values then?

And if load values are from TPS?
I'm in either camp - I am undecided if I like it to be fully closed or idle at 0%.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

ignitionautosport wrote:
stevieturbo wrote:

And if load values are from TPS?
I'm in either camp - I am undecided if I like it to be fully closed or idle at 0%.
If I'm understanding your comments correctly....it would need retuned either way.

Say blade is open 10% for idle...and you baseline this as 0 and tune, all good.

If however you needed to change this to 5% later and baseline this at 0, you'll still have changed airflow in relation to what the ecu believes is blade opening, so tuning will still need checked.

So dont really see any difference in that respect. And full throttle wont change, just the lower openings