Weird engine behavior while driving

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
matthud322
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 56

Re: Weird engine behavior while driving

Post by matthud322 »

VR6Turbo wrote:It could be that your injection angle needs tuning for that rpm range. Does the popping happen in batched injection mode?
I have not tried to run the engine in batch mode at all. The cam sensor worked fine from low speeds, so I run sequential from 0 rpm and up
x30xe wrote:I recommend calibrating water and air temp sensor tables before mapping engine.

But it's not related to this problem.
The sensors are definitely calibrated. Those are degrees F.
VR6Turbo
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 62

Post by VR6Turbo »

That isn't what I meant. If you're having to increase engine speed to smooth out the popping, you might not be injecting at the right [crank] angle for that rpm. OEs vary the IA against rpm so it stands to reason you may need to do the same in order to achieve the same refinement. The S60/80 has a 20x14 IA table for this very reason.

Sequential timing is fussier at slow engine speeds in some engines.

A friend of mine has also seen weird behaviour running COPs with an S60 where it discharges the coil too quickly. It also did weird things to the timing. 11 deg dialled into the map but 22 deg was being applied to the coils. It was reported to Allan a long time ago but he never bothered to ackowledge it.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

VR6Turbo wrote:That isn't what I meant. If you're having to increase engine speed to smooth out the popping, you might not be injecting at the right [crank] angle for that rpm. OEs vary the IA against rpm so it stands to reason you may need to do the same in order to achieve the same refinement. The S60/80 has a 20x14 IA table for this very reason.

Sequential timing is fussier at slow engine speeds in some engines.

A friend of mine has also seen weird behaviour running COPs with an S60 where it discharges the coil too quickly. It also did weird things to the timing. 11 deg dialled into the map but 22 deg was being applied to the coils. It was reported to Allan a long time ago but he never bothered to ackowledge it.
Sequential COP, or wasted/twin spark COP ? ie cam trigger or crank only ?
x30xe
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Post by x30xe »

Some GM COPs have current limitation built in which means that coils let the spark go whenever the load limit is hit even the loading signal from ecu would still be "up". Very annoying feature for tuner.