DTA s80 & SX Dash

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
unijacko67
ECU Model: S80 Pro

DTA s80 & SX Dash

Post by unijacko67 »

New to the site, "Hello" and "Help" please.

Little intro, I have a small light weight hill climb car, fairly high power considering N/A, and unfortunately very short wheelbase. After spending a considerable amount of time testing and tweaking, springs, axle location, roll centers, castor, camber etc and getting as much mechanical grip as my limited skill levels can I am now at the point to tweak the traction and launch along with setting up the SX dash.

The loom has been built by Wessex Racing incorporating a traction control pot for aggression, used it for the first time yesterday at a very wet event and it probably saved the car.

Q 1. The pot turns from setting 1 then anti clockwise through to 12. Would I be correct in thinking setting 1 is the most aggression (less wheel spin).

Q 2. The SX Dash works on the standard screens, everything is working fine including gear indicator, but are there any downloads and instructions on how to customize the dash layout for a screen of choice or is that my lot.

Thanks in advance Andrew.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: DTA s80 & SX Dash

Post by Rob Stevens »

A1. depends on how the pot was wired, but that sounds like how it should be wired, clockwise to increase wheelspin, how aggressive is set in the software also
unijacko67

Post by unijacko67 »

So setting one should be more wheel spin? I'll try load a picture of the pot as the dial goes backwards numerically/clockwise but I guess I need to test it eh. I didn't want to risk playing with it at Barbon in the wet.

Looked at data and front and rears where doing almost exact same speed, rears fractionally faster, I had it on wet setting, will have to look at what % I guessed at when I put the info in months ago. I'll see if it's anywhere near your settings of 7% dry & 3% wet as I can't remember and took a note of your recommendation start point on a thread I found earlier.
unijacko67

Post by unijacko67 »

Just looked at ecu Traction control "target slip" and I have it set at 12 wet and 8 dry, Confused now, lol

stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Without seeing how the switch interacts with the software/ecu...hard to say, and as Rob says it also depends how the ecu settings are as to what sort of range the switch might offer.
unijacko67

Post by unijacko67 »

Does this help, any pointers appreciated, thanks.
unijacko67

Post by unijacko67 »

Right this may help you chaps help me with a bit of luck.

Just turned ignition on along with the laptop, and went into "TRACTION CONTROL REAL TIME DISPLAY"

With traction switched on....

With the pot set at number 1. ANA1 Excess slip to h/cut % "the reading is 199
With the pot set at number 2. ANA1 Excess slip to h/cut % "the reading is 182
With the pot set at number 3. ANA1 Excess slip to h/cut % "the reading is 164
With the pot set at number 4. ANA1 Excess slip to h/cut % "the reading is 147
With the pot set at number 5. ANA1 Excess slip to h/cut % "the reading is 129
With the pot set at number 6. ANA1 Excess slip to h/cut % "the reading is 112
You get the idea.
With the pot set at number 12. ANA1 Excess slip to h/cut % "the reading is 10

These figures are the same with the car set to wet or dry, even though I have slip set at 12 wet & 8 dry as above picture.

What I really need to know, does 1 on the pot make it tame and 12 make it spin the wheels in simple terms.

And if anyone can please explain, does the pot just graduate the settings that I still need to look at in the Traction Control menu and play with as I find out what I need.

Once I roughly understand what all the figures and which way the pot works and what it adjusts I will have a better chance of setting it up

And sorry, it's all like learning a different language to me, so please be patient, Thanks so far, Andrew.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Ok, so when you have it set to 1 , there is 199% slip before hard cut ignition, this setting will do very little and you will get plenty of wheelspin - not very aggressive
When set to position 12 , if you get to 10% slip, full ignition cut will be invoked - this is very very aggressive.
I can't see in your screen shot all the settings but it looks like you have minimum aggression at 200% and max aggression at 10%
Also you have the wet and dry target slip the wrong way round.
Have a look at my settings, you will never need a slip percentage of 200 or 10% you may as well change it like I have it, in the dry I run at about 50% with the 10% target (that is a poor term as it does nothing up to 10% and you will typically se 15-20% at low speed.
I see your gear tables are filled out on the traction page, that's odd as you should have 4 wheel speed sensors fitted and not be relying on the gear pot.

Here is a vid of me at Shelsley with a wheel spin meter, you can hear the engine being cut out of top ess this was with the older P8 ecu but its just the same only I couldn't adjust on the fly.

Also 50kph is very fast not to have the system on, I have mine at 20 mph, why wouldn't you want it on a hairpin?
Attachments
Traction.docx
(324.48 KiB) Downloaded 519 times
unijacko67

Post by unijacko67 »

Thanks Rob, I'll copy your set up and take it from there. Yea the gear table keeps popping back (not in use though) as I have the 4 wheel sensors and have the box ticked to use those and not the gears. Again I agree that the 50kph is high and I'll change that. Can the ECU be set to MPH anywhere?. I think I was thinking once the target speed to activate the traction was reached it would remain on even at lower speeds, but after reading up a bit more I realize it will switch off and on, other than slight time delay for lockups. I'll alter the slip to 7% dry & 3% wet. Thank's for taking the time to help me out, I'm sure it will all make a bit of sense to me soon. Cheers.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

File...System Units.