idle with no idle valve

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
109edta
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Firmware Version: 73.01

idle with no idle valve

Post by 109edta »

Hi, got a 2.1 turbocharged zetec using a rover MPI inlet so no idle valve, I am very new to DTA ( less than a week), got it started and revving but it wont idle yet, I need it to idle to drive it safely to the rolling road to be set up, can anybody point me in the right direction baring in mind my newness to DTA?
Much appreciated
JON-TEC-RALLYE
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: JON-TEC-RALLYE
Firmware Version: 89

Re: idle with no idle valve

Post by JON-TEC-RALLYE »

you simply open, but admission in the screw. disable the idle control dta. first through the map to get an easy warm start.
DTA--MoTec--Link--Ecumaster--HONDATA
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Exactly, open the throttle blade !

The electronics will never fix a bad mechanical setup, both have to be right and work together.
109edta

Post by 109edta »

Hi
If only it was that simple, it's a ford throttle body with a tamper proof idle screw no air screw, I was thinking more of controlling idle with ignition advance
Thanks
PhillipM
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by PhillipM »

If it doesn't have enough air it'll never idle properly. How much advance are you running on the idle sites at the minute?
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

It still has an idle screw, remove the tamper proof plug !

There is almost always a way to adjust the blade, as Phillip says, if the engine doesnt have enough air, no amount of electronics will fix it.

If for some baffling reason you cannot adjust blade position ( which you will be able to ) an extreme solution to an easy problem is drilling a small hole in the blade itself. I've seen some yanks do that with OEM stuff where they cannot alter blade position without messing up the OEM idle control settings because the ecu cannot be re-programmed.
Obviously that's trial and error and not needed in this case as you will be able to adjust both blade position and ecu settings.
109edta

Post by 109edta »

Hi
Thanks everyone, screw wouldn't budge so had to bend the tab slightly to get plate to open so at least it idles now but very roughly, should be ok to get it to rolling road as its only a few miles away.
Chris