BMW s85 V10 base tune

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
bmwe36m3
ECU Model: S100 Pro

Re: BMW s85 V10 base tune

Post by bmwe36m3 »

Any news on finding a base tune for the s85 with s100. I do plan to run the vanos.
cooberpedy
Firmware Version: 89.00

Post by cooberpedy »

No chance running 10 sequential injectors, 10 individual coils, 4 vanos valves and the neccessary 4 cam sensors out of a S100.
There are simply not enough I/Os for that!
You will have to block the vanos or go for a pectel unit (perhaps a second paralelled S100 could run the 4 vanos valves also).
What car is your S85 in? If its lightweight compared to a E60 you will not need vanos for low end torque anyway.
cheers
cooberpedy
bmwe36m3

Post by bmwe36m3 »

we are swapping the s85 into a e90 for race only application. what about using Motec engine management or is the pectel unit a better option.
iceman_n
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Firmware Version: 58

Post by iceman_n »

if its for racing use only then kill the vanos with an agressive camshaft kit and time the camshafts in such way to match them with the length of the throttle bodies to archive pulse wave tuning...and keep the s100
bmwe36m3

Post by bmwe36m3 »

I would appreciate if you could you be more specific with respect to your comment-
"agressive camshaft kit and time the camshafts in such way to match them with the length of the throttle bodies to archive pulse wave tuning"

Which cam would you suggest - example(Schrick 288/280). How do you match with the length of the throttle bodies?
I am not a professional tuner myself but would like to send your specific comments to my tuner.
Regards,
PhillipM
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by PhillipM »

To be honest, as much as I like DTA, I'd've used Pectel for it if it had been my choice.
iceman_n
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Firmware Version: 58

Post by iceman_n »

bmwe36m3 wrote:I would appreciate if you could you be more specific with respect to your comment-
"agressive camshaft kit and time the camshafts in such way to match them with the length of the throttle bodies to archive pulse wave tuning"

Which cam would you suggest - example(Schrick 288/280). How do you match with the length of the throttle bodies?
I am not a professional tuner myself but would like to send your specific comments to my tuner.
Regards,
i dont know which brands make camshafts for this engine, i need duration of camshaft at 1mm or 1.25mm or in 0.040in or 0.050in it depends if the brand is european or US only with one of this specification i can suggest camshaft kit...

about timing now...you have two choices...either to time the camshaft and much them with the lenght of the throttle bodies either to cut or add specers on throttle bodies to match them with the camshaft timing that the manufacture suggest...

maybe you will not need none of both because maybe the camshaft manufacture has make the correct camshaft specs for the length of throttle bodies...

also you have to consider your dynamic compression with the new camshafts...

my option about killing vanos has to do with low end torque that a race car does need as much...because vanos is only for low and mid range torque...

as i make a little research bmw says 12:1 static compression that is very good for a correct dynamic compression with the new camshaft...

*i check about schrink camshaft it does not give camshaft for vanos kill...so camshaft kit that gives its for vanos and the timing its to work with vanos too...so if you buy them, then you need to time them in such way to work without the vanos...thats difficult because of chain and no variable pulleys (if the pulley can move a little back and forward will help in other way its impossible because of chain)

so maybe is wise to use another ecu that can control everything you need...if you dont have experiece with such things
cooberpedy
Firmware Version: 89.00

Post by cooberpedy »

Hi Phillip
how did you get ahead with locating that backup drive?
As said, a base map would be highly appreciated as a starting point. :)
cheers
cooberpedy