It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:54 am

Post subject: Map Sensor or Not
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:14 pm 

ECU Model: S60 Pro
I have a standard Peugeot 1.6 16v TU5JP4 engine running the original plastic inlet and a cable operated throttle body.

I have used all the original sensors and have the engine running on a TPS v RPM map with MAP compensation.

The problem is that with this induction set up the MAP sensor is seeing about 40 kpa at tickover this means a fueling compensation of about -60% even at higher revs the MAP reading never gets above 60 kpa
This may change when the engine is under load (but i don't know if it will)

This means i am adding fuel to the main map for the MAP compensation to take it away.

The question is with this set up is there any point in running a Map Sensor?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Map Sensor or Not
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:47 pm 

ECU Model: S100 Pro
Your choice really, but you need to decide. Some say that TPS v rpm is sharper, but TPS v RPM with map compensation is sort of automatic and provides a very flat fuel map.

Have a look at the 2 sample fuel maps for the Zetec engine as an example.

Think, do you ever plan on driving up mountains ? If so you would benefit from the map sensor, I run one for altitude correction but honestly it's just another thing to go wrong.

Once you get to full throttle you should be close to 100kpa, depending how restrictive the air filter etc is.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:26 pm 

ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79
The other reason to run a MAP sensor is when using an air idle control valve, or DBW, to control the idle.
If the valve is adding or removing air, the manifold pressure will change, and so will the fuelling requirement.

If you don't plan on running up mountains, or using an idle air valve, then you probably don't need it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:41 am 

ECU Model: S60 Pro
Thanks Guys

That is pretty much along the lines that i was thinking, the standard idle control on the throttle body i have is a marelli stepper motor system and unfortunately my ECU is not compatible.

So it has been replaced by a machined bolt to provide manual adjustment.

As for dealing with changes in atmospheric pressure i had considered putting a MAP sensor in the airbox before the filter, but this may just cause me problems.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:16 pm 

ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: DTA
I fitted MAP sensors to 3 N/A cars over the winter (as part of a full rewire and S100 installation), One seeing atmospheric/engine bay and the other two piped into the airboxes.
And from looking at the logging, they barely change; typically from 99 to 101kpa at all times.
So, I probably wouldn't bother for the majority of installations (apart from the examples given in previous posts).

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:52 pm 

ECU Model: S80 Pro
SMR, often you'll plumb them to the manifold though, so you see the pressure the engine/manifold sees. For turbo you must do that anyway.