Idle Functions using Advance

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
rjwooll
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: Lotusbits
Firmware Version: 75

Re: Idle Functions using Advance

Post by rjwooll »

Hi Rob,

Free idle (hot, with idle control disabled, 10 degrees advance) is around 1300rpm. Ignition goes to around 5 degrees retard to control idle at 900rpm; with Drive engaged it's about 3 degrees advance at 900rpm. So I think the throttle is open a bit too much at the moment.

If I change the throttle stop position and reset it in the software, are the fuel and ignition maps adjusted to compensate or is the change too small to worry about?

Have been spending too much time on the rest of the car recently - it's only when I get towards the bottom of the 'to do' list I start thinking about mapping again!

Thanks, Richard
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

throttle stops should never need changed from initial setup

0% is closed, that is not a variable.
100% is fully open, it should not be a variable.

Any idle related settings for TPS can be set in the software.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Steve is right that the software gives you workarounds but in my world the idle position should always be 0%
Set at 0% like this its easy to change the tps sensor should you need to, also its better for failure detection.
Both ways can work fine so stick to what you think it best.
Many RR operators will reset the end points as soon as they start on a car.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Rob Stevens wrote:Steve is right that the software gives you workarounds but in my world the idle position should always be 0%
Set at 0% like this its easy to change the tps sensor should you need to, also its better for failure detection.
Both ways can work fine so stick to what you think it best.
Many RR operators will reset the end points as soon as they start on a car.
I can see why some might think that is a good way, but 0% should mean closed. Not partially open.

And AFAIK if you set the 0 with the blade say 10% open, DTA will register 0% even if the blade was to close further to 9, 8, 7, 6 %
I don't think DTA does recognise it as a fault ?
Although it's been a while since I used DTA. But I do recall on my own car, the little stop screw would seem to move over time allowing the "open" throttle to close a little, but it was easy to see this as it might have gone from say 5% to 4% allowing you to see it. If you'd set it at 0% with blade open, you may never realise it's closing.

The software aren't workarounds, it's the correct way to do it.
rjwooll
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: Lotusbits
Firmware Version: 75

Post by rjwooll »

Thanks Stevie and Rob.

From what I can see in the documentation, the software is designed to assign 0% to the throttle stop position you set, using the 'Set Throttle Stops' function in Engine Configuration. It recommends (for ignition controlled idle) that the stop is set to give you a slightly faster idle than you need. Also, it looks as though the 'Set Throttle Stops' screen should show any variation in the position of the stops as it reads the voltage from the TPS - I think these would display as different 'New Positions' to the 'Old Positions' which are the stops set in the software.