Setting throttle stops

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
mefmotorsport
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: Mefmotorsport
Firmware Version: 79

Setting throttle stops

Post by mefmotorsport »

I've never considered this before but do you think that the throttle stops should be set when the butterfly is fully closed or when it's at the physical setting once the throttle stop has been set for a suitable idle speed? (I've no idle bypass system at all so the butterflys will need to be set slightly open for good idling).

I have also considered drilling a small hole in each butterfly to allow a small amount of air to bleed through when they are shut, is this worthwhile? I seem to remember that this was something that was quite often done in the olden days to make carbs idle better since small butterfly openings become very critical to idle speed.

Martin
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Setting throttle stops

Post by stevieturbo »

My views were covered before.

Closed means closed. Fully open means fully open.

Your idle position is user settable in the software, so just adjust the blade to achieve a good solid idle, then tell the ecu that above x% throttle is off idle.

I would not be drilling holes in anything !
86sixsix
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: http://www.dtafast.co.uk
Firmware Version: 78.01

Post by 86sixsix »

defo remember that stevie :D

i had those exact thoughts, mef - i had to block my stepper motor's channel but then my idle-throttle-percent ended up being something really silly that was higher than the lamba boxes and idle boxes would allow...

0 for the win heehee (only messing)
Renault 1.6 K7M, '92 Clio 16v shell, Rotrex C30-74, S40, Faceache, Sh***er, YouTube Blue Shed Channel
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

The only time I'd set "closed" with the blade actually open. Was if somehow your idle ended up needing the blade to be open beyond the 10% or some some functions use in the settings.
Idle control allows up to 20%, but some other features oddly expect idle closed throttle position to be below 10%

And adjust the blades so you get a good warm stable idle at your chosen rpm and ign timing. Then idle control has to do minimal work, hopefully only for cold start etc
86sixsix
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: http://www.dtafast.co.uk
Firmware Version: 78.01

Post by 86sixsix »

stevieturbo wrote: <snipped> but some other features oddly expect idle closed throttle position to be below 10% <snipped>
that was what happened to me (as you recall). i ended up at 13 or something equally silly and it only worked in half the dialogues :x

like we're ever less than 100% anyways :D
Renault 1.6 K7M, '92 Clio 16v shell, Rotrex C30-74, S40, Faceache, Sh***er, YouTube Blue Shed Channel
VR6Turbo
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 62

Post by VR6Turbo »

stevieturbo wrote:Closed means closed. Fully open means fully open.
This is of particular relevance with DBW as the blade's natural 'off' position is ~ 7% open in most cases. The DBW controller has to know this default off % so that it can move the blade in both directions to control overrun and idle.

For cable throttles, I've set a partially open one to 0% before and it was fine. If it gets round a problem, why not.