Failed first tune attempt

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
sterlingM
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Re: Failed first tune attempt

Post by sterlingM »

Katana -- this is correct. Target AFR was closer to 13 but when we tried to redue the fuel rate by 5% instead of seeing approximately a 5% change in AFR we saw a jump to 18 which is obviously way lean. Sensor fail defaults weren't set up yet. This was the initial attempt to tune on a new motor. There are a number of people using s60pro on a similar motor so I got a map to get it started and set up my sensors and calibrated accordingly.

Rob Stevens -- you're right, this is the first time tuning with this software for both myself and the tuner and of course we struggled a bit
SMR
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: DTA

Post by SMR »

Are you sure you've got a stable consistent fuel pressure (And suitable power feed/ground to the pump)? Well worth temporarily fitting a mechanical pressure gauge to be sure.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

If you're getting unexpected changes in fueling at light load, also check your injector dead times are reasonable.
sterlingM
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Post by sterlingM »

SMR wrote:Are you sure you've got a stable consistent fuel pressure (And suitable power feed/ground to the pump)? Well worth temporarily fitting a mechanical pressure gauge to be sure.
Mechanical gauge fitted, all good there. Same fuel system that was in for the race motor that blew last season, proven to work.

Injector dead times were set to 0.75

I guess my main question is why won't the software allow a higher fuel setting? We update to the newest firmware and software and it's limiting us and we don't know why. We had the same issue trying to adjust fuel at 5500rpm and at 8k rpm, when increasing fuel load the software told us we were at our limit and we know that mechanically that just isn't possible. These injectors and the Bosch 044 fuel pump are way over spec'd for this motor
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

sterlingM wrote:I guess my main question is why won't the software allow a higher fuel setting? We update to the newest firmware and software and it's limiting us and we don't know why. We had the same issue trying to adjust fuel at 5500rpm and at 8k rpm, when increasing fuel load the software told us we were at our limit and we know that mechanically that just isn't possible. These injectors and the Bosch 044 fuel pump are way over spec'd for this motor
As before:
Alex DTA wrote:At 9000 RPM, the crank rotates once very 6.7 milliseconds. So you have 6.67 x 2 = 13.33 milliseconds of time for the injector to be open, including dead times.
The software calculates the maximum allowed for each RPM, and won't allow a value higher than that.
If you're requesting an opening time of more than two crank rotations, the ECU will not allow it.

I suspect you have a fuel compensation somewhere. This is reducing the amount of fuel from the main map. You are then trying to compensate for this in the main map, rather than fixing the compensation.
Check that as per Rob's post previously.