Auto tune

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
volksrallyegolf
ECU Model: No ECU
Firmware Version: 35

Auto tune

Post by volksrallyegolf »

Hi

I would like to get some infos about the auto-tune fonction of the s-series...
Found nothing in the manual so how does it works ?

Phil
VR6Turbo
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 62

Re: Auto tune

Post by VR6Turbo »

'Auto tune' is just another name for closed loop lambda. There is nothing 'auto' about the DTA what so ever in that respect. It all needs to setup and configured manually.
Jon K
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

VR6Turbo wrote:'Auto tune' is just another name for closed loop lambda. There is nothing 'auto' about the DTA what so ever in that respect. It all needs to setup and configured manually.
Sort of... I mean once you get an AFR table built and the engine running "acceptable" then you can use the "Lambda History" option from Display and Test Functions to auto tune the AFR.
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
kutle

Post by kutle »

It don't work, it is just another factory trick to sell ECU to somebody who is buying it for the first time...and last ;)
Jon K

Post by Jon K »

kutle wrote:It don't work, it is just another factory trick to sell ECU to somebody who is buying it for the first time...and last ;)
It does work, I tuned my car with it :roll:
lumley32
Firmware Version: 61

Post by lumley32 »

in some situations it works! with mine i couldn't hold the engine at steady revs and load to get constant readings, but after a race or 2 i get a few usable results!

its all about how fast your engine and lambda react. still no where near as good as a good dyno and someone that can use it!
Jon K

Post by Jon K »

Yeah I don't even do that - I just drive the car. Turn off throttle transients and drive. The ECU will record logged cells and expected corrections. It works pretty darned well.
kutle

Post by kutle »

it works if you have min 95% finished map. but then you don't need autotune any more. It would be fair that they said it on their thechnical spec. because on many modern ECU's autotune really means that it is able to make basic fuel map with wideband pretty close to finished map. In that case I wouldn't pick DTA because it is obsolete.
VR6Turbo
Firmware Version: 62

Post by VR6Turbo »

lumley32 wrote:in some situations it works! with mine i couldn't hold the engine at steady revs and load to get constant readings
This.

I've spoken to a few tuners who I know very well and also know their skill set and they all say the same thing about DTA's closed loop: it's crap.

You can produce the best base map in the world, then switch on closed loop and one time it'll pass through a cell and take XX% out, then another pass it'll add it back, another pass it'll take it out again. It's rubbish. No matter how fast or slow you make the loop, there just isn't a stable enough compromise that I've been able to find. Then only reason I've managed to get away with using it for so many years is because the base map is way richer than it ought to be and I only allow a 10% adjustment authority.

How is it 1990s Bosch ECUs can hold a perfect lambda 1 with narrowband @ +/- 25% authority and DTA's software can't, with closed loop, despite the base map being spot on?

This is why I added a rewrite of closed loop to the features list thread because by today's standards, it's useless.
kutle

Post by kutle »

great post VR6Turbo, I have same experience with this! If we also add that boost control works on same way and idle control valve needs to be ideally configurated to work my conclusion is that everything with pwm control in DTA is crap. That is the reason why autotune can't work. I could put DTA somewhere between carbs and early bosch ecu's from 90's. For the price that it costs it is total junk and I feel like being robbed!