p8 pro on sbc

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
jpr.racing07
ECU Model: P8 Pro

Re: p8 pro on sbc

Post by jpr.racing07 »

Steve I am still running with a Holley as with the car been a new set up in the back of the gr 37 and a new build on the motor and no rolling road over here I thought stay simple for this year and just run ign and fit inj over the winter with a trip to the uk to be set up on a rolling road. Was thinking if I set to start on second tooth on cranking it should show 40 degrees whilest cranking with the plugs out ?...Jeremy
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Depends on how many teeth on trigger if set to 2 this would be 20 degres on 36 tooth wheel, sounds like too many, I'd go for 1 st tooth on cranking. Have you confirmed wired up correctly like I suggested? If you find your crank trigger is in the wrong place you can fudge it by changing the cylinder that the ecu thinks is number 1
jpr.racing07

Post by jpr.racing07 »

Hi rob I meant it will read 40 degrees on the timing light which means its 20 , it has 36 minus 1 . Had a day off with my daughter so no testing today but been thinking about what could be wrong, as I am running on a carb at the mo I haven't fitted throttle pod or any temp sensors could this be the problem ?????
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

standard non-dialback light will show actual timing. That's all I use.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

If you have missing sensors, check what setting the ecu uses on sensor failure that may have an impact on timing? if no TPS the ecu will use the default setting in 'general engine settings' but this would only kick in after the engine had exceeded the transition from cranking rpm, doesn't sound like you have got that far yet.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

As above, just ensure any fault settings for non connected sensors wont impact on anything. Basically zero any compensations etc.

But it does sound like a basic timing issue ( ie spark timing and perhaps firing order. )

Coils are wired correctly in theory, but you need to be 100% sure the HT side then goes to the correct locations.

Whilst a bit of a pain, remove the ecu output pins for the coils and insert one at a time e so you are only testing a single output then do the spark test. That will verify which pair of HT leads is firing so you can eliminate that.
jpr.racing07

Post by jpr.racing07 »

Hi steve latest update on testing , checked signal from ecu to coils all as should be, checked coils for correct firing order and what side of coil does what, marked TDC on ring gear and tried with a snap on timing light but to no joy will try another timing light tomorrow , not so easy when only spinning it over on the starter motor , but will try to buy a new crank trigger over here tomorrow just in case this is at fault, the crank trigger is very close to the carbon tub could this be affecting the signal ????????? Jeremy
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

Tub won't be affecting signal unless its touching a wire. Try reversing the wires to the crank sensor. What do you see in the diagnostic display whilst cranking?
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

As above, are you even getting an rpm signal on the ecu ?

And you havent done some funny wiring that removes power to the coils during cranking ? People have done it before with both coils and fuel pumps etc.
they test fine when key is in position 1 and 2, but when cranking they lost power to vital parts.
jpr.racing07

Post by jpr.racing07 »

Hi steve and rob latest on testing have changed crank trigger just in case , tried wires around the otherway round didn't even fire but have checked from ecu to trigger and everything as it should be, i had the loom made up in the uk by tim mason , have check power to coils when cranking and that is ok as well and yes it reading rpm on the laptop . if i can't sort by the weekend the motor is coming out to double check everything i do that anyway when building a motor ,but something is wrong somewhere. Jeremy