Igntion to control idle

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
The Zedhed
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 62

Igntion to control idle

Post by The Zedhed »

Just wondering if its been covered on here as I searched but............

The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: ignition idle.

Seeing as 86sixsix has given a great link for PID control (http://dexautomation.com/ps/) I thought I might give it a go. But when you select 'use advance not PWM Valve for Control' certain boxes change to red, does this mean I can only change those values, in which case is there no PID control.
Also are the Base Idle Advance (Deg) figures dependant on whether you have 'Advance Compensationsin Deg not %' ticked in the General Engine Settings?

Currently bike idles around 1500 to 1700rpm, its race only so no big issue but would be nice to have it a little more civilised :)

Thanks in 'Advance' for any help offered ;)
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Re: Igntion to control idle

Post by ignitionautosport »

I can't offer any advice yet, but in next couple of weeks will be trying this out also, so very interested in any tips/tricks.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Ive only ever used the ignition idle control via the 20x14 map.

In effect this does offer some closed loop ability as if rpm rises you have the timing set lower so it falls again.
or if rpm drops, the timing will be higher in those cells to encourage the engine to increase rpm.

Although I think you can use a PID as well. the 20x14 map is just so easy though and works well and is easy adjusted if need be

You will still need to set the throttle at a sensible opening though.

With no idle control at all, what is your lowest stable rpm, and what ignition timing are you using ?

In order to allow the ecu to have some control, you'd need to set this first with say 12 deg of timing.

The after that the ecu can have some ability to reduce idle speed via timing as well as increase it.
If you set your initial base throttle opening and idle with say 3deg of timing, the ecu would never be able to use timing to reduce idle speed as you wouldnt really want to be running any less timing than that
The Zedhed

Post by The Zedhed »

Cheers Stevie, I'll give it a whirl once its all back together. First event this Tuesday so all last-minute.com as usual!
86sixsix
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: http://www.dtafast.co.uk
Firmware Version: 78.01

Post by 86sixsix »

loops are loops the world over... ignition idle is 100% closed loop *if you wish* and you can have numbers that bear no relation whatsoever to any other numbers *if you wish*

if you do not wish to use a PID - as stevie says - simply use the 20x14 for ultra granularity that your main map problably doesn't have.

ignition idle pid *basic* settings:

200hz,100,0,0
switch the loop on
tick box to use the 20x14
fill the 20x14 with the same number as your main ign map for your idle cell
decide the max and min advance yourself and set target rpms in the table
use loop delay to control residual bounce

drive and twiddle only the 20x14 and loop delay - you get both stevie's sweet granularity and my set-and-forget computery jiggery-pokery. ahhh yeaahh 8-)

please note - i am assuming you are on planet earth. if you are a bit low down in the surface of planet earth you may wish to drop the prop and bump the integer :lol:

*simples*
Renault 1.6 K7M, '92 Clio 16v shell, Rotrex C30-74, S40, Faceache, Sh***er, YouTube Blue Shed Channel
The Zedhed

Post by The Zedhed »

Cheers 86sixsix :-)
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

I have an older P8 and don't have idle by ignition facility, what I do is, if you want an idle of say 1200 rpm have a rpm site/row at 1000rpm and 1500 rpm in the first throttle column at 1000 rpm have ignition of 15deg and at 1500rpm have say 0 deg in that cell. The engine will sit about mid way quite strongly. I find this fine for a race engine. It idles a bit slow during warm up however, not that good for a road car.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Idle by ignition only will never be as versatile as an air bypass. But it's fast and relatively easy. And also does a decent job in the lack of an air bypass.

Many OEM's use both ignition and an air bypass.
The Zedhed

Post by The Zedhed »

It works............... :D :D :D :D :D
seems quite happy at 1200, which is way better than the 1500 it was at.

Cheers guys
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

Just tried this on a Holden VX Commodore V6 engine, and I have to say it's pretty badass in closed loop. I let it run up to 10degrees retarded (5degrees advanced right through in base table) just to see how it would control, and I am suitably impressed.

I literally switched it to use Advance instead of Idle Valve, set max advance at 15 and Min at -10, filled base table with 5, wait to control at 0.2 and let it do it's thing. P 50, others 0.

Now to set stepper correctly (more closed) and get it closer to start with. It has a stepper which I am not using, but I think it is set full open (how the engine came). It is in a Landriver with Toyota Hilux running gear behind it. Will post up a thread later this week hopefully.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |