Can 20x14 MAP ignition compensation table be used as map

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
S16pug

Can 20x14 MAP ignition compensation table be used as map

Post by S16pug »

I've set my main map columns rpm and TPS. Is possible or wise to set the ignition map constant value like 10 degrees and then use the MAP compensation table to actually control the ignition? The reason being that it seems a lot easier to map the fuel TPS vs. rmp and the ignition MAP vs. rpm.
It feels difficult to map the ignition TPS vs. rpm and then fix the MAP compensation table. Or would it be wiser to just leave the compensation map filled with zeros?
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Can 20x14 MAP ignition compensation table be used as map

Post by stevieturbo »

So you want to use MAP vs RPM for your ignition table ?....so why not just do that ?

You dont need any compensation tables.

Really I wouldnt see any difficulty mapping fuel with MAP vs RPM. If you can do it TPS vs RPM then it's the exact same process for MAP vs RPM.
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

S16pug, I believe it should work how you say. To make it easier you could fill the ignition tps table full of zeros so map ignition table is actual timing.
Last edited by ignitionautosport on Thu May 17, 2012 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
lumley32
Firmware Version: 61

Post by lumley32 »

if you do that then you will have no compensation for atmospheric pressure on the fuel, or am i missing something?
ignitionautosport

I'd just leave the fuel as standard correction, so it still gets baro/boost correction that way. I was only talking about the ignition side.

I am/was the same as you S16pug, where fueling I'm happy with TPS and MAP correction, however ignition timing I feel a bit lost as I've never done it that way before... however I am very keen to try it, once a vacuum/atmospheric ignition table has been created then applying corrections for boost would be rather easy... maybe. Have yet to try it.
I am also thinking that once you have a certain engine mapped, the correction table would be rather generic across other engines (ie, tune a 4G63T, use same correction map as starting point for next one you tune) - or possibly rather close for all engines?
I really need to get one in my own (race)car to experiment, so far have only done MAP based tuning on customer car as I don't feel it is fair to charge for dyno time for me to experiment.

How I planned on going about it, is hold wastegate open so I am tuning effectively only up to atmospheric (intake can be opened to achieve this if holding the gate open doesn't) and tune the entire TPS ignition table. Then reconnect the piping and start at low boost and work up from there. This does mean that it would make tuning the Fuel map different to how DTA say to in the manual - in fact the complete opposite, however with 3D MAP fuel correction table it isn't a problem.
I am not sure if it is worth the exercise. How DTA say to do it in the manual, is set correction tables and then tune under boost to reflect the "normal" operation in that cell - however I feel that the ignition timing may be less than ideal in the transition to boost in that case. Unless someone can add something I have missed?
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
Roverdose
Distributor: Roverdose

Post by Roverdose »

ignitionautosport wrote:How I planned on going about it, is hold wastegate open so I am tuning effectively only up to atmospheric (intake can be opened to achieve this if holding the gate open doesn't) and tune the entire TPS ignition table. Then reconnect the piping and start at low boost and work up from there.
thats how my rollers start the mapping.

Drew
ignitionautosport

Thats how I do MAP based tuning anyway if the engine is a pain to get the atmospheric transition correct. Just need to get my head around ignition corrections over a TPS table.
Jon K
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

Can you get the engine to run and then log TPS % vs MAP and then you should be able convert your table?
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW