DTA Dyno Box/Serial Cable -- Schematics and Pictures

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: DTA Dyno Box/Serial Cable -- Schematics and Pictures

Post by stevieturbo »

Only thing is to check and double check wiring

After that swap the pins for fuel/timing and see if the pot still works on the respective channel
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

If the wiring checks out, make sure you don't have closed loop lambda active, this will be displayed whilst in dyno mode with the fuel corrections figures in black, not blue when under knob control. Use Ctrl-L to turn on and off.
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

Rob Stevens wrote:If the wiring checks out, make sure you don't have closed loop lambda active, this will be displayed whilst in dyno mode with the fuel corrections figures in black, not blue when under knob control. Use Ctrl-L to turn on and off.
I had a guy borrowing my dyno box and he had exactly this issue. Easy to do, and easy to fix if it is that.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
maxiice
Firmware Version: 63

Post by maxiice »

I am finished my box now, so this fifth mapping session should go faster i hope.

But i am a bit curies about how to get started after hooking it up. The manual dosent describe weary well how to use the buttons

I am having questions like....

Does the new new value get stored when you press the enter button ?
The stop button is for killing engine ic case of knock ?
What is the knobs button for ?
Do you get to the next value after pressing enter, or do you have to move the cursor with the laptop ?

Anyone for writing a howto please ?
My tuner is not weary good on DTA
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Pretty sure the manual describes its operation.

1. Sort of. It records your change, but the map itself doesnt actually "permanently" change until you hit F6 or CTRL and U

2. Stop button is for killing the engine for whatever reason you want to kill the engine quickly.

3. Knobs simply turns the box off or on. When Off the knobs would not affect the map.

4. The Knob box is really aimed towards steady state cell tuning on a dyno. Changes only take places in whatever cell you are actually in.

If you are not tuning each cell steady state on a dyno....then the box is of limited use.

You absolutely do not need a Dyno box for tuning in any case. If it's confusing your "tuner", maybe best to ignore it....or find a new tuner.
Last edited by stevieturbo on Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maxiice

Post by maxiice »

Ok thanks Stevieturbo :)

Yes the plan is to each cell on the dyno,
I am hoping the box will ease the job, but if it dont, we just go as we did last time
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

stevieturbo has answered most of your questions.
maxiice wrote:Do you get to the next value after pressing enter, or do you have to move the cursor with the laptop ?
To move to the next cell, you have to move the throttle until it lines up in the Real Time mapping display.

It sounds to me like your tuner isn't using the Real Time Mapping option. If he's not, then mapping will take a very long time, and place a lot of strain on both the engine and the dyno.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

maxiice wrote:Ok thanks Stevieturbo :)

Yes the plan is to each cell on the dyno,
I am hoping the box will ease the job, but if it dont, we just go as we did last time
For steady state cell tuning, the box can make the job easier.

But for tuning in general, not a big deal.
ignitionautosport

Post by ignitionautosport »

Box is a godsend! Saves flicking between maps, can tune ign and fuel in one go... saves so much time on the dyno. But hey, do whatever your tuner wants and is comfortable with. That's always my advice.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
maxiice

Post by maxiice »

sparrow wrote:stevieturbo has answered most of your questions.
maxiice wrote:Do you get to the next value after pressing enter, or do you have to move the cursor with the laptop ?
To move to the next cell, you have to move the throttle until it lines up in the Real Time mapping display.

It sounds to me like your tuner isn't using the Real Time Mapping option. If he's not, then mapping will take a very long time, and place a lot of strain on both the engine and the dyno.
Ok thanks, that makes sense :)

I dont know what he did last time, and i was a even more newbie on DTA, but i know it took too long..