Questions for self tuning people

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
claggett
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Questions for self tuning people

Post by claggett »

Use MAP for lambda target map when main maps are TPS .

Just a couple of questions about this.

Has anyone used this?
Is this only used when your map is spot on and you only use it for live closed loop and not to generate a fuel correction map?
If you can use it to generate correction map has anyone used it and does it work.
I am asking these questions because in my head it can not work or am I wrong?
Say you was at 50% throttle and 3000rpm would the map always be the same?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Darren
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Questions for self tuning people

Post by stevieturbo »

I would doubt it could work like that. The relevant maps would need to be referencing the same axis for it to work.

Why would you try them on different axis anyway ?
claggett

Post by claggett »

Hi Stevie

My map is using tps as load but is turbo'd ( I know you like MAP as load for turbo) and see that it has an option in the lambda settings to use MAP for the lambda target when using TPS in main map.
Was just wondering if it would work to generate the fuel map (so it would lean the map out in the cruise area and richen it up in the boost area) or is it just so when you are in closed loop running so it will do that live.
I hope that makes sence.

Darren
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

I know the old ecu's the FCM would not work for this reason. The old FCM was always TPS based, so when using MAP as load it wouldnt work.

Dont know about the S series, but I dont see how it could work given the variables involved. Not really sure what your best course of action would be there other than plain and simple manual tuning.

Although I guess in theory, assuming all your MAP compensations are correct ( and theory doesnt always work in practise ) then having both maps with TPS as the main axis, then the FCM should work as you want it to.
But it would rely on those MAP compensations being correct.

I simply would not run TPS vs RPM with boost unless it was absolutely necessary. Yes it can simplify things a little, but it can also complicate matters a lot. As you're seeing.
VR6Turbo
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 62

Post by VR6Turbo »

I used MAP for lambda targetting when the main load was TPS and it worked OK I suppose, but the problem as always with DTA is it's closed loop simply isn't fast enough to react anyway.

Personally I'd stick to TPS with MAP compensation and use the TPS for lambda targetting. I ran mine like that for years without any major concerns.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

I'd say the closed loop aspect would work. But the Fuel Correction map could never work
claggett

Post by claggett »

Thank you for replys.
I Just wonderd how it would work.

VR6turbo what did you set your targets to using tps as target?

Because if you set say 95% tps and 4000rpm at 12.5afr on the target map for if it was not on boost but if it was in boost you might want it to be more like 11.5afr or do you just have to work out where you think your boost levels will be at a given tps load site and rpm and set your afr that way or does the compensations work it out some how?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Darren
VR6Turbo
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 62

Post by VR6Turbo »

Sorry, you lost me there. I basically just set the MAP as targetting fairly close to what the TPS was.

For example, I knew 100KPA occurred at 38% TPS. So for the Lambda targetting, I made 100KPA 13.5 AFR, 120KPA 13 AFR, 140KPA 12.8 AFR, 160KPA 12.5 AFR, 180KPA 12.3 AFR & 200KPA 12AFR. etc etc.

And as Stevie says, the FCM map relates to TPS still and it does populate with numbers. Whether this means take X% fuel out of this TPS column so that this MAP target is achieved, I don't know, but that's how I understood it and it worked OK.

Overall I found no benefit though, but try it yourself and see what you think.