Writing Map v rpm fuel and ignition maps from scratch

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
DiscoPotatoes
ECU Model: P8 Pro

Writing Map v rpm fuel and ignition maps from scratch

Post by DiscoPotatoes »

I would like to have a go at writing my own maps using map v rpm instead of the tps v rpm with map compensations that I have now.
I'm using a p 8 pro on a rover v8 twin turbo
Where do I start.

Numpty advanced warning! I will be asking a lot of questions, some probably very stupid ones, so please keep your answers stupid simple, for the hard of understanding I.E ME :)
I'm guessing there are lots of formulas to work out what air and fuel an engine needs at any particular rpm and load so I think it would be wise to start at the beginning.
:D
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Writing Map v rpm fuel and ignition maps from scratch

Post by stevieturbo »

Someone wrote some software a while back to assist.

But really, it's even easier than that.

just look at your previous datalogs and fill in a map vs rpm table using data from your logs. Just get a handful of numbers and it will give you a starting point.
DiscoPotatoes

Post by DiscoPotatoes »

stevieturbo wrote:Someone wrote some software a while back to assist.

But really, it's even easier than that.

just look at your previous datalogs and fill in a map vs rpm table using data from your logs. Just get a handful of numbers and it will give you a starting point.
Cheers Stevie, now I just need to know how to do data logs :D
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

LOL....RTFM ! LOL
DiscoPotatoes

Post by DiscoPotatoes »

stevieturbo wrote:LOL....RTFM ! LOL
Was having trouble with that lol i was using a windows 8 pc which didn't allow the use of help files, gone back to my trusty old xp netbook and can now access the destructions :geek:
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

yea, that is annoying. You can download some software to make F1 work again. I did it on this computer....but then had to re-install W7 after it crapped out. Didnt bother again.

Although the manual is available for download, which has instructions in it lol Ity is worth printing out for a handy reference.

Drive it as is now, using boost, full revs etc, datalog it all. And then draw up a new map and fill in values as close as possible to where they match up with your load cells.
The log will have actual pulse widths for fuel and total timing. So it should end up fairly close to what your current tuning is.

http://www.dtafast.co.uk/Downloads/Manu ... Manual.pdf
DiscoPotatoes

Post by DiscoPotatoes »

stevieturbo wrote:yea, that is annoying. You can download some software to make F1 work again. I did it on this computer....but then had to re-install W7 after it crapped out. Didnt bother again.

Although the manual is available for download, which has instructions in it lol Ity is worth printing out for a handy reference.

Drive it as is now, using boost, full revs etc, datalog it all. And then draw up a new map and fill in values as close as possible to where they match up with your load cells.
The log will have actual pulse widths for fuel and total timing. So it should end up fairly close to what your current tuning is.

http://www.dtafast.co.uk/Downloads/Manu ... Manual.pdf
Thanks Stevie that's very helpful, ill have a go tomorrow and see if I can crack it.
iceman_n
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Firmware Version: 58

Post by iceman_n »

i set the last column in dyno by adding more and more advance until figure out where the dyno line stop incresing and find the limit of advance timing...

but how i will understand where is the limit of the other cells ?? fuel is already fixed...

here is my advance map tha last cells are ok the others is by guessing...any help ?
Attachments
1.JPG
Anders_Karlsson
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 66

Post by Anders_Karlsson »

First row, 1100-1500-2000 rpm need to be more than 3 degrees advance. 10 degrees like the other cells around there should be fine.
iceman_n
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Firmware Version: 58

Post by iceman_n »

i will change that, i have on my mind...i want to set the idle first using advance cause my idle valve does not work properly

about the other columns ? which is the right way to set advance expept the last column that set it on dyno