Diagnostics

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Diagnostics

Post by stevieturbo »

Not so much tuning, but these videos on youtube are great at explaining things and test procedures.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScannerDanner?feature=watch
stevieturbo

Re: Diagnostics

Post by stevieturbo »

Just a cheapish USB Stingray scope.

http://www.easysync-ltd.com/product/520/ds1m12.html

I think JonK on here had another brand of scope, his looked a little better. Ultimately the hardware probably doesnt matter so much as the software interface. The Stingray is just ok.
It has a lab style scope software, or a logging software. Pity the two werent combined though.

So generally the logging is best for this sort of stuff.

Couple of screenshots of the coil test at 4000us, engine running at idle.

Zoomed in more. Blue trace is the DTA ecu trigger. Orange is the Hantek current clamp ( £42 egay ). Only took a few days to get here, and was much better quality than I had expected.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310649301150? ... 1438.l2649

It outputs 1mv per 10mA so the actual voltage seen is quite lo5, circa 0.5v ie 5A
The software wont allow a dual scale, so that bit is annoying. But you can re-scale either to zoom in quite easily, but one trace would then go off screen.

Lexus IS200 crank signal at approx 6700rpm. You can zoom in much more if you want. Think I logged that at about 10us

If you can download the software and it actually works, I can email you some of the logs I recorded. Although you may need the hardware for the first time install before the software works.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

I use a 'picoscope' with 2 channels, it looks slightly easier to use than steves as the 2 channels have independent scaling. I'm always mindful of back EMF's damaging the unit (it has 50v capability) so keep it well away from coils and HT. I also use a current clamp, most useful.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

I'd like a Pico, as said, they real key to it's usefulness is in the software. Watching that guys Scanner Danner's videos, you can clearly see how good the Pico is.

I just cant justify it for DIY usage. Not sure if any of the other cheap units allow more functionality.
If I could use a different Y scale for both channels, that alone would be a huge improvement. I never realised how useful a scope would actually be, nor who much detail it could give.

The video about compression tests was very interesting using the Pico transducer ( another £600 or so ! )
It really gives detailed info about the engines health, and also valve timing. A manual tester would never give you that.
Jon K
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

Stevie that's a great video. Yep, I posted some scope traces and such. This is the sort of stuff that helps me keep my sanity. I see a lot of fellow enthusiasts lose their patience and get so frustrated. I'll be honest sometimes I don't have the patience to talk them through it and further they don't have the knowledge or resources to test anyway. Good video!
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Rob Stevens wrote:I use a 'picoscope' with 2 channels, it looks slightly easier to use than steves as the 2 channels have independent scaling. I'm always mindful of back EMF's damaging the unit (it has 50v capability) so keep it well away from coils and HT. I also use a current clamp, most useful.
Which model of Pico are you using. I see there is a basic 2 channel at under £200. Which I assume would be the same software setup for all of them ?

I thought they were all far more expensive than that.
Wally
Firmware Version: 51

Post by Wally »

I use the 4 channel advanced kit, I have had it quite a while and think I paid around £2000.

Have a look at the website if you haven't already. Loads of info and sample waveforms.

The automotive kit is different to the normal scopes so don't fall for the cheaper option.

http://www.picoauto.com/index.html

You can download and install the software without having a Pico, it is free and all updates are free. Once you install the software you can use it in demo mode and if you see any psd files on forums you can download them, open them and play with all the settings.

Wally
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

So the likes of the 2000, 2 channel is not the same unit used in their basic kit ?
Wally
Firmware Version: 51

Post by Wally »

No, totally different. It takes a lot of explaining as to why the other scopes are no good for automotive use but you do really need the auto scopes.

Wally