DTA-S80 BMW Turbo tuning

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
x30xe
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Re: DTA-S80 BMW Turbo tuning

Post by x30xe »

No one can tune your engine with email. So it's worth nothing to email to DTA unless product has some fault.

Start with simplest setup you can have. Ensure that all sensor, specially crank/cam position sensors give error-free signal and are calibrated correctly. Check sensor offsets, they must be set as accurately as possible. Use some known working base map. Step by step it gets better.

If engine dies easily from idle, it may be that throttle is not enough open. I prefer use setups where throttle is slightly more opened and idle speed is controlled with less advance.
rneedham1979

Post by rneedham1979 »

I'm not asking anyone to tune via email. I was asking with hardware assistance since updated files won't load. And the "stalling" is a hardware issue since my car doesn't stall when factory management is used, or when others use the same PnP harness and same base file in other cars.

The problems I'm encountering seem directly tied to the unit itself. Hence the reason I contacted DTA.
rneedham1979

Post by rneedham1979 »

Okay, I've been messing with the DTA for the last few hours. I was able to load all of Jon's settings and then continued to make adjustments. I turned off idle control, and the stalling has went away. Obviously this hinders drive-ability but it is drive-able.

I'm using my Uego wideband for the DTA. For some reason the wide band gauge and data logging is at-least 2-3 full points off. The gauge has been reading 13-14 while cruising but the data log indicates 10.9. Even on the real time data, the air fuels are reading rich. I'm kind of lost since the gauge and DTA should be reading the same voltage. Any ideas?
Jon K
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

Ryan make sure the AEM wideband and the DTA are grounded to the same spot.

I hate the AEM UEGO personally :)
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
rneedham1979

Post by rneedham1979 »

They definitely aren't grounded at the same spot. Where are you grounding your system to?

What wideband are you using?

I cannot believe how much sooner the turbo spools with the DTA compared to the stock DME.
Jon K
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

That's all in the tune - make sure you aren't running a million degrees of timing lol

I have the E34 but look near where your stock ECU ground. You want to ground everything to a common point. If theres any resistance in the ground between sensors and stuff you get an offset which will screw you up.

I use the NGK AFX wideband.
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW