DTA-S80 BMW Turbo tuning

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
rneedham1979

DTA-S80 BMW Turbo tuning

Post by rneedham1979 »

Hi Guys,
I'm new to the DTA, tuning and the forum and would love some help getting my project back to DD status.

A few months back I opted to go standalone because E85 and higher whp factory DME tuning was limited. I want to run E85 exclusively and there isn't an off the shelf DME tune available, especially for the 1000cc injectors I intend on running.

So, my plan was to learn (with the help of a friend) how to tune the car over time. Two weeks ago my DD, an e46 M3 blew up on the dyno. This forced me to do a 2.5 day turbo build on my E30 to make two back to back track events. I was given a base tune from Maximum psi (no vanos) and my buddy made slight adjustments, essentially making sure airfuels were OK under boost . We had limited time, the air fuels seemed safe and we ran the 4 day event. The car ran great and honestly, we had a blast.

Well, now I'm panning on driving the car daily and cold drivability is garbage. I'd like to solicit some help with tuning. I've sent the ignition map to quite a few people and everyone was shocked on how low timing was. I'd like to maximize my current set up, meaning finalize the ignition map, make the necessary fuel adjustments, and get the cold start and closed loop operations functioning properly. My current set up is as follows,

Stock BMW S50 w/.140 head gasket (9.0:1)
Bavarian Solutions stage 3 heads
Shrick camshafts
GT4088r turbo
MV-R 44mm wastegate
I'm currently running 60lb injectors. I have ID 1000's going in as soon as I get this base tune figured out.
AEM Uego wideband

The car does have a crazy shutdown problem. Once warm it runs and idles pretty well and out of no where the car will shut off. It doesn't do it when driving, just when the car's at idle.

The car currently makes 380whp 350wtq @8.5psi. I'd like to run 500whp on pump with this engine and eventually 600-650whp on pump/ ethanol and the built engine in my garage.

I really appreciate any help/ insight you guys and provide. Timing map attached.

Thanks,
Ryan
Attachments
Timing.JPG
Last edited by rneedham1979 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon K
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Re: DTA-S80 BMW Turbo tuning

Post by Jon K »

Hi Ryan - as mentioned, your ignition table looks very low. I use an M52 motor (basically) with lowered compression (~8.5:1) and run the following map:

I am only supply up to 1 bar boost because over that is really up to you

My start up table isn't perfect, but it gets the car going.

and here are the lambda params currently in my car (I believe);

Also, set your compensations (air and water) to std.

Oh and also - make sure you confirm your timing. If your trigger angle is misconfigured then maybe your timing isn't that low (there'd be an offset). So first confirm timing (Mike would probably have sent you a setup with this already done).
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
rneedham1979

Post by rneedham1979 »

Thanks, Jon. Here is current .map
Attachments
S50_5bar_60lb_VIR 8_27 me.map
(34.29 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
rneedham1979

Post by rneedham1979 »

Is it possible to manipulate the file off line and then load it to the DTA unit?
Jon K

Post by Jon K »

Ryan - yeah totally possible. Open the map, hit "offline" (pick the right ECU) then key-on in the car and open the map, it'll load all the settings.
rneedham1979

Post by rneedham1979 »

For some reason, when ever I load a file manipulated off line, the car starts but has a significant misfire, won't run and air fuels go erratic.

I'm going to try and make the changes when connected to the ECU.
VR6Turbo
Firmware Version: 62

Post by VR6Turbo »

Are you running sequential injection?

I noticed a bug in DTASwin that turns off Sequential when you edit the map off line, so after you upload a map, go through all the vital settings again and make sure they are still valid before turning the motor over.
Jon K

Post by Jon K »

Ok yeah that definitely sounds like it could be the issue - the sputtering/poor running.

Does Allan know about the issue?
VR6Turbo
Firmware Version: 62

Post by VR6Turbo »

I think I did some time ago yeah, but I never got a response back.

The first time it happened to me I thought I'd damaged a piston or valve!
rneedham1979

Post by rneedham1979 »

I emailed DTA. Wasn't to helpful.

I got the engine running with factory management. The issues were 100% because of the DTA. Now I can mess with the DTA and figure it out over time.

I'm going to try and load all of Jon's data into the DTA while the car is running, which has been the only way I've been able to make successful changes so far.

Thanks,
Ryan