DTASwin rewrite

Discuss issues and tuning software like DTASWin, E-Race, MegaLogViewer(DTA), etc. Also post archive versions of firmware.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: DTASwin rewrite

Post by stevieturbo »

Just thought of a big one today....and something Motec do well, more so than most others.

Currently when we change the rpm/load rows or columns...the values in the main table stay what they were.

So say you wanted to add a row, remove a row, change from 0-5000rpm to 0-8000rpm...the main table stays the same

With Motec when you make a change like this, tuning remains pretty much the same, as much as interpolation etc allows and it leaves you to fill in the new blanks.

It means changing the main load site spacing mid tuning, at a later date etc etc has minimal affect on the actual fuel/spark tables as far as end result goes. Which makes any changes fast and easy for the user.

Or say you initially tuned form 0-200kpa...and decided later you wanted more boost. Again decide your new load cells and the main tables are adjusted to suit, so the 0-200kpa tuning remains as close to original as possible...and you just need to fill in values for the 200-whatever range you added or changed.

Or any change in between, doesnt have to be at the upper end of the scaling
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Yes agreed nice, but the system is limited to 20 x 14 cells. I imagine to do this that Motec may have limitless rows and columns?
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

This is actually something I've been turning over in the back of my mind.
It's not rocket science, it's just maths. The hard bit will be working out what other part maps will be affected.
For example, increase RPM from 7500 to 9000. A turbo charged car with 2 cams, idle control, and wideband lambda will have a lot of tables that need updating. It would be "fairly" simple to just update/create values with interpolation using straight line approximations, but would that be accurate enough?

There's nothing on the ECU stopping it, as it's just a different map.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Not limitless, but more.

But even times I've run the tuned my car up to say 15psi, run it like that for months, maybe years then decided to up the boost. It takes a lot of time copy and pasting to create the new map that doesn't require re-tuning again.
So it is a usable feature even with a fixed number of cells.

And whilst I hear what you're saying about other tables....other tables will mostly be independent and the user needs to sort them out too.

I'm just talking about the fuel and spark tables being newly interpolated and corrected as much as possible.

Perhaps if a table correction/adjustment like this takes place, the ecu could issue a warning/tag and highlight the other tables that may be affected because of these changes. But I dont think it would be needed, I'm 99% sure Motec nor any other ecu I've used do this for what I am talking about.

One nice feature ( or annoying ) with Syvecs is after any upgrade, it will tag and highlight any fields which need the user to take a look at to ensure the transition was smooth. Whether it's a new feature, a feature that has had amendments made to it etc etc. So the user needs to either ignore and delete these tags, or work through them all and delete after inspecting.

It's handy to draw attention to new features after an upgrade or software/firmware change.
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

stevieturbo wrote:And whilst I hear what you're saying about other tables....other tables will mostly be independent and the user needs to sort them out too.

I'm just talking about the fuel and spark tables being newly interpolated and corrected as much as possible.
No. That's where a lot of the work will be. I can't just update the main two tables, and leave the others. Blank values will cause all sorts of problems.

Using the example of increasing RPM, all 20x14 tables will be affected and require updating.

As I say, it's something I'm thinking of doing, but it isn't a 5 minute job.
grant620
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 61

Post by grant620 »

In Link's software, any axis changes you make to a table only affect that table...
So you can have a 20x14 fuel table that is how you like it and a 20x14 Ignition table.
But you don't have to fill 20 x 14, you can add and take away rows and columns at will on that particular table.
Cheers
Grant
http://www.gb-ent.com
Performance Engine Solutions
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

Progressing, although slower than I'd like. However, it's now a complete rewrite from the ground up, so it's going to take a while. There is 20 odd years of code to go through!

Anyway, sneak peak of the sort of thing we're doing. No where near finished, but I figured you'd like to see roughly where we're headed.
Screenshot.png
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Although the colour thing looks pretty, never really understood the need for it ?

I'd be more interested in colours for cells passed through during a pull or when driving or cells changed etc etc
practical things to see at a glance when mapping

Although I guess colours representing values could maybe highlight a spurious cell with an incorrect value or something ?

One think Link also offers ( or at least used to ) was a maximum timing feature. ie you could set this to say 40deg, and no matter what values you put in, or compensations were applied timing could never go higher than this value.
Not really mega important by any means but not a bad feature either, especially if there are various compensation tables that could maybe increase timing a lot somewhere.

And I dont doubt it's a mammoth task you're undertaking !! I'm sure most ecu places have a team of people working on that side of things, especially when starting from scratch
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

The colours will be an option that can be turned on and off.
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

Personally I like the colours (that why I suggested it) and I think that - unless you are colour blind - its easier to quickly spot anomalous numbers like the LH table above?