DTASwin rewrite

Discuss issues and tuning software like DTASWin, E-Race, MegaLogViewer(DTA), etc. Also post archive versions of firmware.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: DTASwin rewrite

Post by Rob Stevens »

Alex, I don't think I can't make the DTA window fill 2 screens, but perhaps I'll try again, I'm on XP if it makes any difference?

Many of the things Stevie wants are there already? Like direct manipulation of the graph.

Have to agree about locating all the rpm cut patterns in one place, the hard limit should associated with the rest of the cut patterns.

I know Allan always had to make it backwards compatible so perhaps this leads to a lot of the issues.

I was with a dyno chap today that had to use an EFI ecu and he felt DTA was miles easier to use. The EFI didn't appear to support any worthwhile real time mapping.

Also with the greatest of respect to Stevie he doesn't even use the DTA system any more! :)
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Ok, sorted the 2 screens, wasn't hard! I was trying to make it 'snap' to fit the space, but manipulating it works just fine.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

As said, I was trying the graph screen offline, and found it odd the cursor wouldnt move around the graph. I was sure it did it when live !

And as for using other ecu platforms, that's where you learn the positives and negatives of other systems.

I may have had DTA on my car for nearly 13 years or so, but I've also used many other ecu's over that period too on other cars.

Some have good software, some bad, some excellent and some complete dung lol
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

A big selling point for me is the lack of bugs. Software and firmware "just works", is rock solid and accurate. It needs to stay that way, it is a large reason I don't use certain other brands.

Regarding menu items in odd places, I would believe that is (as already stated) due to backwards compatibility, a NZ based company like to release firmware updates which break settings (including things like trigger setup!) when you do a firmware update. I appreciate Allan may have kept the backend and parts of the frontend unsystematic in appearance, in order to make sure nothing breaks when adding features and changes.

For a product that updates useful features reasonably often that is a major plus. Especially as you don't have to spend time fixing everything that broke on update, which saves you and the customer time and money.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

ignitionautosport wrote:A big selling point for me is the lack of bugs. Software and firmware "just works", is rock solid and accurate. It needs to stay that way, it is a large reason I don't use certain other brands.

Regarding menu items in odd places, I would believe that is (as already stated) due to backwards compatibility, a NZ based company like to release firmware updates which break settings (including things like trigger setup!) when you do a firmware update. I appreciate Allan may have kept the backend and parts of the frontend unsystematic in appearance, in order to make sure nothing breaks when adding features and changes.

For a product that updates useful features reasonably often that is a major plus. Especially as you don't have to spend time fixing everything that broke on update, which saves you and the customer time and money.
Agreed, that is very important, and may restrict what I can do. However, I'll also do my best to update the UI to make it more logical.

Thanks for all the feedback, it's really interesting to see what's come up. 8-)
PhillipM
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by PhillipM »

sparrow wrote: Yes, definitely deeper than software. Very unlikely to happen on this range of ECUs, but something I'll keep in mind for the next range. Also looking at being able to add extra columns/rows.
It'd certainly be nice, I do recall last time I mentioned it getting told there was no need with interpolation for more sites than we have, but it damned well lead to some torque holes on our rotary where you had 3 different intake systems switching in and changing the characteristics.
Using 6 map sites either side of the switches didn't leave anywhere near enough resolution elsewhere!
grant620
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 61

Post by grant620 »

Extra columns and rows, and the ability to configure these as you wish would be great.
Also the colour thing - really like this to be there...
Cheers
Grant
http://www.gb-ent.com
Performance Engine Solutions
Jon K

Post by Jon K »

Sparrow - I come from a MegaSquirt/VEMs/Megatune background (years ago).

One of the BEST feature of that platform was the ability to throw a log file into a log viewer WITH the tune, and when you traced the log it'd highlight the active cells in the tune at the time with any corrections applied, etc.

Another super awesome feature was the ability to do auto-tuning offline - it'd take your desired AFR table, your VE (fuel table), and the data log and math out suggested adjustments. You'd set a max + and min - adjustment, it'd parse through it, and spit out an adjusted tune.

Just dreaming of course.

I have real interest in nitrous logic but I know you said just software for now.
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
grant620
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 61

Post by grant620 »

These are great features Jon.
They are available in things like EVOScan for the Mitsubishi platform OE ECUs as well, and it's so cool to be able to tune this way!
Cheers
Grant
http://www.gb-ent.com
Performance Engine Solutions
Jon K

Post by Jon K »

grant620 wrote:These are great features Jon.
They are available in things like EVOScan for the Mitsubishi platform OE ECUs as well, and it's so cool to be able to tune this way!
Yep the tune that is in my DTA was literally built based off my MegaSquirt tune that evolved this way. I would just drive around, do some pulls, watch things, but then review the logs and load the tune and look at suggested alterations of fuel and such. It makes for a much easier job for a single person trying to dial the car in.
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW