DTASwin rewrite

Discuss issues and tuning software like DTASWin, E-Race, MegaLogViewer(DTA), etc. Also post archive versions of firmware.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Re: DTASwin rewrite

Post by Alex DTA »

stevieturbo wrote:Some things I'd stay away from..making the software all colourful and glitzy, and requiring a mouse to navigate.

I may be more old school...but I like being able to use the keyboard to navigate. Sitting inside a car it's just more positive than the mouse pad, especially when the vehicle is moving.

Some of the newer ecu stuff out there like Link, Haltech etc....their software is horrific to navigate even sitting still with a proper mouse/keyboard.

I like the keep it simple approach.
I will always design an interface with the keyboard as the primary input, followed by the mouse.
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

lumley32 wrote:as stevie said, i think it would be far better to have a simple layout that can be used with only a keyboard.

apart from that the only thing that springs to mind is when doing rough mapping when you select cells to be modified (Ctrl F5) with the engine running some times it will de select the cells you want. i think its when the running cell changes.
Not seen that before, but I'll add that to the list.
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

PhillipM wrote:I'd like a fix for the hidden buttons and cells on the bottom of pages that don't appear unless you resize a window to be big enough - that's pretty damned annoying.
Yes. Yes. Yes.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

In all the years I used DTA...I didnt know you could increase/decrease cells like that lol. But simple +/- keys would be easier.

Re cell changes, yes you can use the dyno box and change the cell, but until you do save the cell doesnt actually change as such. Not sure I'm explaining well.

When I change a cell, I expect it to change and stay changed without the need to save the map, if that makes more sense ?
The fact I changed the cell means I wanted it changed

Re Launch, you're misunderstanding. And even with DTA, Launch takes priority over TCS until a user defined speed. Most ecu's do the same, as often launch control will apply different controls, whether boost related, timing ramps, slip targets etc which are different to TCS and normal operation.

What I'm referring to is how launch is activated or de-activated. Currently both methods require the user to always push or hold a button, when in reality there is no need for this if you have a speed signal available. It just eats up an input that could be used for something else.
Obviously if you do not have a speed input to set the trigger, then a manual button would be the chosen option.

eg when stopped, launch is always ON...in the background, but as long as rpm/throttle are below thresholds, it would do the poppy bangy thing you want.
Exceed a speed threshold and it either turns off completely, or once moving starts the controlled launch ramp.
After a speed threshold is reached it becomes inactive until speed falls below a certain threshold again.

It's how a lot of other ecus do it, it's simple and works well

I even asked Allan ages ago to implement a speed trigger for the launch rpm time ramp rather than having to hold a manual button and release it in conjunction with clutch etc
It's just silly to force a manual switch, when the a start trigger is already available and doesnt eat extra inputs.

He was solely focused on grasstrack cars where no speed signals were allowed....but others use launch too.

I'm guessing that might be firmware too though based on other answers.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Steve
'I even asked Allan ages ago to implement a speed trigger for the launch rpm time ramp rather than having to hold a manual button and release it in conjunction with clutch etc
It's just silly to force a manual switch, when the a start trigger is already available and doesnt eat extra inputs'
This is done with a clutch mounted switch!?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Rob Stevens wrote:Steve
'I even asked Allan ages ago to implement a speed trigger for the launch rpm time ramp rather than having to hold a manual button and release it in conjunction with clutch etc
It's just silly to force a manual switch, when the a start trigger is already available and doesnt eat extra inputs'
This is done with a clutch mounted switch!?
Not really, because the clutch switch would the activate it again during gearchanges.

With the speed based ramp it would be ok, as launch de-activates, but if you wanted to use the timed rpm ramp it wouldnt as far as I am aware.

And again...why force the use of a switch/input when it isnt always needed ?

A simple speed trigger could start the timed ramp. Hit 1mph, ie vehicle has just moved and start the timer.
It means you dont need to think about hitting buttons etc
Rob Stevens
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Ok yeh I see, I have the paddle controller so once under way I don't use the clutch on my race car (S100) and my road car (S60) the launch is rarely used any way.

I feel sure I could configure one of the auxiliary outputs to do what you are after, just use a combination of throttle and road speed to trigger.

But I won't bother as I'm happy to have a switch
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Rob Stevens wrote:Ok yeh I see, I have the paddle controller so once under way I don't use the clutch on my race car (S100) and my road car (S60) the launch is rarely used any way.

I feel sure I could configure one of the auxiliary outputs to do what you are after, just use a combination of throttle and road speed to trigger.

But I won't bother as I'm happy to have a switch
Yes, using an Aux out fed into an input could achieve the same....but then you've just wasted yet another channel, for what should be internal functions

I wont bother either, as Syvecs does what I need lol

But it largely comes back to use/flexibility of I/O's There are a lot of functions that could be achieved internally and put to use which would free up I/O's for external control functions. Yes that's more on the firmware side of things though
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

PhillipM wrote:I'd like a fix for the hidden buttons and cells on the bottom of pages that don't appear unless you resize a window to be big enough - that's pretty damned annoying.
This is my biggest gripe, I generally use a netbook with display driver hack to run higher than native resolution, along with a knob box.

It also helps with the text int he cell size only shrinks down so far, then I lose half of the numbers as they stay the same size while the cell shrinks if I resize a window. I guess a UI re-write will address that anyway.

I'd suggest cater to low-res screens ( at least don't forget about them I should say) as a lot of new laptops are still 1366x768 which is still stupidly low.
Netbook I use is 1366x600 native but I can't increase window size at that resolution to click buttons.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
gnutz2

Post by gnutz2 »

This is great news and I cant wait to try it out. Could we maybe have a beta version first which may contribute towards making the final version even better.

As already pointed out, it cuts off the bottom off the windows which is a royal pita!

As you already mentioned, the real time info screen needs to be customizable, gauge type, colour, size and scale. Also this would have to be saved (ideally multiple screens) somewhere as you wouldn't want to create a custom screen every time you went for a drive. Also a full screen feature would be nice, cutting off the borders and task bar.

Some people don't like colour, but I think the main maps would benefit from it, ie: Colour representing the magnitude of the cell, looking at just numbers on a screen gives no idea of scale.

We do need lots of engine trips like fuel pressure and lambda on load but I hear you say that's firmware :(

Can't wait, really exciting stuff :)