E48 set map columns

Discuss issues and tuning software like DTASWin, E-Race, MegaLogViewer(DTA), etc. Also post archive versions of firmware.
thethinkingman
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Firmware Version: 34.0

E48 set map columns

Post by thethinkingman »

Evening all. I'm part way through a peugeot 16v turbo build, i have the old E48 which i have succesfully wired in and have had the engine running on the Xe base map.
This is all a learning curve to me and i intend to learn as much as i can so i can eventually have a go at mapping it myself.
Now, there a few things i'm not sure about...
I went into set map columns and its asking me to enter the Kp values, what would these need to be? I'm using a Marelli 214kpa map sensor
Also, i have been told that this ecu will happily idle the engine via ignition advance and i dont need the 2 pin idle solenoid, can anyone give me some guidance? Like i say i want to learn as much as possible
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: E48 set map columns

Post by stevieturbo »

What any columns "need" to be is entirely up to you really. Clearly they will need to be in the 0 to 214kpa range though, assuming you may use this level of boost. If not then the overall range may be smaller.

Most engines can idle very well with no real form of specific idle control which would be the case if you did not use an air bypass valve. I dont believe there is any idle function on that ecu using ignition advance, so you'd be using the main tables to achieve any small changes to try and give some degree of control.
thethinkingman

Post by thethinkingman »

I altered the advance in the corner of the main map to give me a decent idle.

As for the map columns i dont understand the logic of it hence what figures to enter
thethinkingman

Post by thethinkingman »

Could you maybe give me an example table of figures so i can grasp what it means?
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

look at the samturbo map to see how the pressure compensation tables need to be set.

You need to think if you want to use TPS + MAP compensation as your main fuel map or you can use MAP as your load only, do some reading and do one or the other, its in the book.
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

Basically map figures go 0 - 100 = vacuum, 100 is notional atmospheric pressure, 100 - 214 = boosted pressure .......all in pascals.
You are aware you will have a max of 15lbs of boost range - ie a 2 bar sensor doesn't allow 2 bar boost!
thethinkingman

Post by thethinkingman »

Hi, yes i'm aware of that. I may upgrade to a 2.5 or 3 bar sensor but for the mean time i'm only planning of running approx 10 psi boost
thethinkingman

Post by thethinkingman »

Bit i'm struggling with is what figures to actually put into the boxes, 14 sets od numbers. I'm assuming, say i was running 100kpa max boost then 100 would go into box 14, do the rest get divided up accordingly? Sorry if i don't sound very clear
Alex DTA
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

thethinkingman wrote:Bit i'm struggling with is what figures to actually put into the boxes, 14 sets od numbers. I'm assuming, say i was running 100kpa max boost then 100 would go into box 14, do the rest get divided up accordingly? Sorry if i don't sound very clear
No. MAP is absolute, so you'd need to put 200 in box 14, and then enter the rest.

The ECU gives you a table of 20 rows, and 14 columns for the main maps. The 20 rows are for RPM, and the 14 columns are either throttle position, or manifold pressure.
You decide the ranges, where the important points on the rows and columns are, and enter those values.
All the maps are then driven from these. The ECU will also calculate the required values when in between your entered values.

Do you have a throttle position sensor, as well as a MAP sensor?

There are two ways to use the MAP sensor.

First, you can use the MAP sensor instead of a TPS. This means you're setting values for fuel/ignition based on a combination of manifold pressure and RPM.

Secondly, you can use the MAP sensor alongside the TPS. This means you are setting the values for fuel/ignition based on a combination of RPM and throttle positions, and use the MAP to adjust fuel/ignition for boost situations.

If you don't understand the difference between the two, as well as the advantages and disadvantages, I'd strongly recommend taking the car to someone who does, and they can put on a good map. A few hundred £ now could save a complete engine rebuild. You can then tweak and play around once it's running properly.
thethinkingman

Post by thethinkingman »

I have TPS along with a map sensor.
Yes, i was planning to use the map sensor to adjust fuel/timing for boost.
I totally agree with your last comment, very wise words however ive always wanted to learn how to map an engine (or at least try) so far i have made my own loom from scratch, wired it into the car and had it running, ive played with the fuel, basically reduced whole map by 35% to roughly suit my bigger injectors, altered the timing and played with the water temp compensation, this so far has given me a fairly good idle at between 900 + 1100 rpm and my wideband gauge says anything between 14 and 15:1. All of this is new to me hence the probably what seems like 'daft' questions, i will continue to learn as much as i can before i have a go at mapping out on the road and then visit a dyno to check my work