E48 set map columns

Discuss issues and tuning software like DTASWin, E-Race, MegaLogViewer(DTA), etc. Also post archive versions of firmware.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: E48 set map columns

Post by Rob Stevens »

As Alex says you need to decide how the map sensor is used, as I said before TPS as Load + Presure correction. Or to use Pressure as load only. Talk to the dyno opperator to help make your mind up. I use the former TPS + Pressure correction, to me it makes more sense.
Read the manual.
Is the map sensor giving sensible readings at idle? something like 70kpa
Do not drive on the road until you understand this.
thethinkingman
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Firmware Version: 34.0

Post by thethinkingman »

At the moment the ' use MAP as load' box isnt ticked yet, i'm running on throttle % values that came with the base map.

I am a 16 year experienced qualified mechanic, i'm sure with a little guidance i can understand the workings of this kind of thing, i am slowly grasping it though
Last edited by thethinkingman on Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

I was like you when I did my turbo bike using a Motec - there wasn't a chance of any type of maps for fuel or ignition - base or otherwise, so I had to populate the tables by guesswork. You have the advantage of a reasonably formed NA map so for boost compensation I worked on the basis that 1 bar of boost will need twice as much fuel as when at 0 bar. To be safe add another 10%. BUT road tuning a turbo can be tricky and dangerous to maintain enough load constantly to allow transients to settle and then adjust everything to suit. A good dyno will do the job in 2 or 3 hrs in controlled conditions - just my personal opinion.
thethinkingman

Post by thethinkingman »

I was going to follow roughly the same logic as you just mentioned, but only after i learnt more about what the different things mean.
Although life would be so much simpler if i took the car to a dyno and have an expert do the job, it would be a great sense of acheivement if i could do a large chunk of it myself.
I had a nice quiet section of road with a good incline in mind, i originally thought it would be a case of gently accelerating in a highish gear (a friend would be driving and i would be on the laptop!) Whilst observing my wideband lambda display, tweaking the map bit by bit etc. I then discovered things like compensation maps and the like, suddenly became alot more complicated
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Whilst a little too basic...

No idea, but I'm sure it will be of some use

Haven't read it, but I rate anything Julian puts into print as very good

Matt is a big Megasquirt guy, but I'm sure his book will be useful too.

thethinkingman

Post by thethinkingman »

Thanks for that. I found a good lengthy, in depth and easy to understand article online last night. I only quickly browsed through it but like i say it's written so a 4 year old could understand it, has made sense of a few things

I appreciate the input from everyone on here, we all have to start somewhere
Alex DTA
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Sounds like you at least have a good idea of what's what. You could probably get close with a steady state map, and then fine tune on a rolling road.

As your E48 is on v29, you can choose between open or closed loop boost control.
If you choose closed loop, just enter the target pressure you want at each RPM, and the ECU will do the rest. You will need to play around with the PID controls to get a nice steady boost control.
Otherwise use open loop, and just enter the waste gate PWM frequencies for the chosen RPM and TPS combinations.
In combination with that, use the MAP compensations table to add fuel and pull timing. You shouldn't need to change the other compensation values.
Then it's fine tuning, and throttle transients.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

I wouldn't worry about turbo control just yet :) just leave it on the wastgate
thethinkingman

Post by thethinkingman »

Rob stevens - that is my plan, boost control is probably the last thing on my mind just now. I'm focussing on getting an ideal as possible fuel and timing map for wastegate pressure, 7 psi. Then check the map on a dyno. Main thing for me right now is getting my head round mapping via TPS, MAP