E4 ecu mapping with DOS, help needed

Discuss issues and tuning software like DTASWin, E-Race, MegaLogViewer(DTA), etc. Also post archive versions of firmware.
Albie
ECU Model: No ECU

E4 ecu mapping with DOS, help needed

Post by Albie »

I have an old E4 ecu and DOS software to map it with but I am having difficulty getting the car to tickover as I have no idea about mapping.
The car is a Fiesta XR2i with the std EFi system and when the car drops below 1000 rpm it seems to struggle, so when it's cold I have to blip the throttle constantly.
I've uploaded a picture of the ignition and injection maps so if anyone knows what they're looking at there may be an obvious fault.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Attachments
IMG_20160610_155315693.jpg
IMG_20160610_155339150.jpg
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: E4 ecu mapping with DOS, help needed

Post by Rob Stevens »

Try changing the top left cell on the ignition (in red) 500/1 from 7.6 to 25 and save.

If you have a copy of this old software, Alex at DTA may be interested as I think the old software had been lost?

Alex may not thank me however as he might sell less ?? ;)
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Really the numbers mean little.

Often idle problems are simply down to a lack of air into the engine...and what you describe supports this.

But unless you know what mixtures etc are like at idle, there really isnt a lot of point messing with things too much, even more so if you arent experienced with tuning engines in general, so cant even work by feel/ear type of thing as to how the engine responds to any changes you make.

There have been threads before listing some useful books, they are probably a good idea. As is purchasing a wideband.
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

Do what rob says, jack the idle (1 and maybe 2% throttle) ignition timing up and see what it does.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
Albie

Post by Albie »

Hi Rob, thanks for your advice. Unfortunately it didn't really solve the problem, although it did improve a little. What I have noticed is on the 'Engine Real time Display' page in the DOS software, when the Engine Mode changes from 2 to 1 (which is usually below 1000 rpm) this is when I get the problems. If I hold the revs above 1000, keeping engine mode 2, all seems well.
Do you know what engine mode 1 refers to?
I can see below that it tells which line or column you're in at a specific time but this mode thing is confusing me.
I've loaded a picture if it helps.
Cheers
Alan
Attachments
IMG_20160614_133807251.jpg
Albie

Post by Albie »

stevieturbo wrote:Really the numbers mean little.

Often idle problems are simply down to a lack of air into the engine...and what you describe supports this.

But unless you know what mixtures etc are like at idle, there really isnt a lot of point messing with things too much, even more so if you arent experienced with tuning engines in general, so cant even work by feel/ear type of thing as to how the engine responds to any changes you make.

There have been threads before listing some useful books, they are probably a good idea. As is purchasing a wideband.
Already checked the throttle flap position (No idle valve, it's a race car), It idles when hot but at 1250 rpm. Unfortunately I don't have a lambda so just wanted to see if anyone could be helpful and spot something obvious.
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

engine mode
0 = not turning
1 = In cranking mode i.e. think ignition just based on teeth before tdc
2 = running on proper ignition map

its years since Ive seen that software so I might be wrong!
Albie

Post by Albie »

Rob Stevens wrote:engine mode
0 = not turning
1 = In cranking mode i.e. think ignition just based on teeth before tdc
2 = running on proper ignition map

its years since Ive seen that software so I might be wrong!
I think you could be on to something here Rob.
Problem is, as you can see in photo, lowest rpm is at 950 for transition from cranking.
The other problem is, I've tried to scroll down there to change it but the program won't allow me to go down past the 'Coil on Time', it just keeps beeping and saying 'value out of range', it's currently set at 0.
I set it to 2000 to get past it and it's doing the same with Injector start pulse, so I've set it to 1, again to get past it, but then when I try to lower the rpm limit below 950 it beeps and says it's too low.
Should I be trying to set the tickover from these 'coil on time' and 'Injector start pulse' parameters?
Cheers
Alan
Attachments
IMG_20160614_154316132[1].jpg
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

Try, firing tooth on start up = 1, this tells the ecu to count 1 tooth (10deg btdc) and use this not the ignition map
Coil on time = 2000
Injector start pulse = 10
Albie

Post by Albie »

Well I think I may have found the problem. It doesn't seem possible to change them parameters, well I can change them but the ecu will not accept the changes. I've tried changing them off line and loading the new map but no good. Not sure if it's because there's a fault in the ecu or I have the wrong version of the software, but any advise would be welcome.