Windows 7 yet??

Discuss issues and tuning software like DTASWin, E-Race, MegaLogViewer(DTA), etc. Also post archive versions of firmware.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Windows 7 yet??

Post by stevieturbo »

lumley32 wrote:stevie, is it any worse than doing the same thing in a car?

not saying its the right or safe way, but i cant see any difference between that and having a lap top on the passenger seat!

just put it on a dyno, then you will be able to get it right!
Even I dont ride a motorbike and I can see the obvious differences !!

Just exactly how is he going to operate the keyboard and hold the handlebars at the same time ? All whilst riding, wearing a helmet wind buffeting etc.

And a laptop on a passenger seat is totally different. In no way whatsoever does it affect the operation of the controls of the vehicle, or line of sight. And cars tend to be more stable than bikes.

And even if you have a laptop in a car beside you, no way should you be messing with the keyboard at the same time as driving !!

It would be great if DTA did offer better real time tuning, but it isnt too hard to work around it.
lumley32
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 61

Post by lumley32 »

as i see it the biggest problem is the distraction, you can use one hand to ride a bike with no problem! after all who needs a clutch!

as far as im concerned using a computer while driving anything is just stupid, i would just use the logging, that's what its for! :)
j.wilson

Post by j.wilson »

As I say it was all about transients.
I strapped the lap top on and headed to a quiet road. I pulled away then stopped, adjusted the fuel, pulled away and stopped again. I dialled in some much better numbers that got the bike to run lovely.
I wasnt changing the numbers while driving- it just made the process of adjusting 100 times quicker. No you can't look at the laptop and ride at the same time- other than a quick glance down to see what square the fuel map is in.

It worked very well for me.
j.wilson

Post by j.wilson »

Update:
All runs great on a W7 tablet and its a much better solution for bike tuning.

I still occasionally strap it to my bike- the tablet fits real neat on an Hbar brace. Its small and less stress on the paintwork.

I'm sure its clear to everyone who actually rids a bike that the comments above are somewhat dim witted... there is no chance in hell that you can operate a laptop whilst riding a bike, I suspect its also not possible in a car with a laptop on the passenger seat.

But for quickly tuning out transient issues on a bike or in a car you need to have the computer with you to hunt for the sweet spots- and that's real difficult to achieve without strapping it somewhere. I couldn't find a safer place than on the tank- its the place where people put luggage (tank bags) and often put maps and GPS. But for ease of use the tablet wins hands down.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Which tablet did you use, and how do you find the touchscreen aspect works for tuning ?
j.wilson

Post by j.wilson »

It is an Acer Iconia

http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/med ... 0_05_2.jpg

Touchscreen.... hmmm. It solves my big problem so I'm willing to put up with some compromise.

The touch screen is a bit of a pain because the icons (fuel map fields for example) are small on a tablet screen. There is a pop up keyboard utility which is great but it does not include the function keys so you have to select the "file" menu to update. This is quite fiddly. I put the pop up keyboard to the lower half of the screen so I can select the numbers and punctuation and return key whilst seeing most of the DTA tables.

There is only 1 USB port- so I need an adapter to run both ECU and mouse in the shed.

Tuning the bike on-the-fly is the only way to get the sort of driving experience you come to expect from a production vehicle.

I've tried a rolling road but it just didn't resolve everything. It was a great help with WOT tuning and constant loads, it was just not good enough when it came to just off tick-over transients and pulling away. This was the bit that the guys at DTA said laptop on the passenger seat was the only solution.... but that didn't work on a bike.

Its not difficult to do, its just that the feedback that quick changes gives you makes the whole process quick and effective.