DTAswin to ECU connection problems

Discuss issues and tuning software like DTASWin, E-Race, MegaLogViewer(DTA), etc. Also post archive versions of firmware.
Ponk

DTAswin to ECU connection problems

Post by Ponk »

Evening all,

Having a few problems connecting my S40 to my laptop which I hope you can help me with. I have one of Mef's serial cables and a generic USB to serial adapter. The laptop recognises the serial adapter but fails to connect to the ECU or my Dash 2.

I have changed the com port settings as per the DTA manual. With the adapter set as COM2 on the laptop it seems only COM3 in DTAswin comes remotely close to connecting. Even then I get the error message ecu present: Failed! ECU not connected or switched on.

All others ports in DTAswin come up with the error message COM port already in use regardless of how the adapter is configured.

On a sidenote the Race Technology configuration software also fails to find any available serial port when connected to the Dash 2 so this points to the adapter being at fault.

Laptop is running Vista and I have reinstalled the driver software a few times.

Help!
86sixsix
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: http://www.dtafast.co.uk
Firmware Version: 78.01

Re: DTAswin to ECU connection problems

Post by 86sixsix »

plug adapter in.

open an admin command prompt.

type:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

(set *spacebar* devmgr and then the rest is underscores with no spaces anywhere)

start devmgmt.msc

(start *spacebar* devmgmt.msc)

click view, click show hidden devices... go down to the ports section. remove *everything* in that section *except* the 1 usb adapter that will be darker coloured icon than the others by right-clicking and hitting uninstall and then yes.

set the usb adapter to com1
open dtaswin, set it to com1

reboot

play...
Renault 1.6 K7M, '92 Clio 16v shell, Rotrex C30-74, S40, Faceache, Sh***er, YouTube Blue Shed Channel
Dayle
Firmware Version: 58

Post by Dayle »

Also if all fails search on the net for the latest USB Adaptor driver.

I had the same issue with mine and the drivers on the disc. Searched for the latest updated drivers Installed and worked straight away.
Ponk

Post by Ponk »

Cheers for the help chaps.

I've reinstalled the driver software (from the disc) and deleted all the hidden COM ports. I'm now getting an error code on DTAswin which is 8020: E.rror reading com device

Stumped!
86sixsix

Post by 86sixsix »

8020 is a mscomm control error. you are nearly there!

update the driver now (right click...update...search windows update) as above and you will be good to go!

edit: if the update doesn't work - let us know the chipset of the usb adapter, prolific or whoever and we will try to help...
Renault 1.6 K7M, '92 Clio 16v shell, Rotrex C30-74, S40, Faceache, Sh***er, YouTube Blue Shed Channel
Ponk

Post by Ponk »

I hope so. I'm losing the will here!

Tried updating the driver but Windows thinks it is up to date. Here are the details.

ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

windows doesn't have correct ones. I had to get them from here: http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?id=31
I used 1.5.0 from memory. One of the earlier ones connected for tuning, but when V62 released I had to get the latest drivers before I could flash newer firmware.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
86sixsix

Post by 86sixsix »

ignitionautosport is on the ball 100%
86sixsix

Post by 86sixsix »

a mod would be awesome to edit this thread to just the hidden devices bits, matching port numbers and then we could have a list of known working (proper flow control - no 8020 stupidity) drivers...
Ponk

Post by Ponk »

Cheers for the help guys it really is appreciated! Tried to d/l 1.5.0 from the link above but I keep getting this error message during the installation process. Tried it again after uninstalling the existing driver but no joy.

Also noticed that Prolific has a warning about counterfeit adapters. Mine was dirt cheap on ebay so may be counterfeit. Could this be causing my problems?