New alternative to E-Race --- MegaLogViewer(DTA)

Discuss issues and tuning software like DTASWin, E-Race, MegaLogViewer(DTA), etc. Also post archive versions of firmware.
Jon K
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

New alternative to E-Race --- MegaLogViewer(DTA)

Post by Jon K »

Hey all,

I come from a MegaSquirt background which I had run on my turbo BMW for about 2 years or more, with great success. I really liked the software/system but moved to DTA to get more consistent results, higher quality hardware and wiring, and an overall much better product (duh).

However, when I started using the DTA software I was less than thrilled with the ERace datalog viewer. There were a couple different versions floating around but they all seemed relatively lame. The traces were all the same color, max of four traces, cumbersome interface and file opening sequence... I really wanted what I was used to or at least something standard.

Enter MegaLogViewer - I used this application with great results in the past. When using a MegaSquirt unit you would feed your datalog to the software (datalogging required a laptop hooked up, no on-board logging like DTA) along with your map file (called an MSQ file) and it would not only show your datalog for review, but it'd go through and do math to process your actual vs target AFR and rebuild your fuel table to help get your tune in line. It was a good alternative to real time mapping or auto-tuning. You could set thresholds and max/min deltas and changes. Very cool stuff and it did it well.

I've been working on my own some and now with the author of the software, Phil Tobin, to get this program to accept our DTA DAT files. I went in and started writing macros to change our DAT files to conform to the MegaSquirt log files. It worked well but the log was "backwards" due to how it is stored. So I managed to get in touch with Phil and he wrote some changes in his software to support DTA. He released it to me as a "beta". But, I think if guys are interested we can expect to see it further evolve. I dream of it being able to do the post-session analysis on the fuel table and exporting the file modified, but for now merely playing it back clearly is enough for me!

I am going to upload the beta ZIP file to my server in a minute or two, but for now here is a screen shot of the logging. I have created custom fields (easy) to calculate boost, afr, temperatures in F, fuel and oil pressure in PSI, etc. You can do whatever you want. It's looking pretty neat.

Others might like E-Race I don't know, but I didn't so this is just an alternative. Let me know what you guys think!

*** PLEASE SEE BELOW FOR DOWNLOAD ***

MegaLogViewer(DTA) is a Beta Release. It is not fully supporting by Phil Tobin or DTAForum.com, so please keep that in mind should you have any issues.

Please Right-Click an Save-As in order to download this file. Its a zip file and is the source/running files only - there is no installer. So please place the files in a directory on your computer that you can locate. You can create a shortcut to the main executable should you wish.

REQUIRES SUN JRE - Java Run-time Environment! The software will not run without JRE. Please visit http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp to get the latest version of the JRE.

Once you've downloaded and opened MegaLogViewer(DTA) you should go under the "Options" menu and enable large memory support. Exit the application, re-open, and open your log files.

PLEASE post your results and let us know how you like this software compared to E-Race or other solutions.

Thank you!

Jon
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
VR6Turbo
Firmware Version: 62

Re: New alternative to E-Race --- MegaLogViewer(DTA)

Post by VR6Turbo »

Are you on the pyscode DTA forum? This looks familiar :D

The Erace viewer is horrible, so I'm pleased a better alternative has been found!
j.wilson

Post by j.wilson »

Thanks for the link.
Thats a nice and easy program to use.
Cost a few £s but well worth it (good value).

Now, back to your dream Jon k... what about the ability to filter the log data and overlay it on the DTA map files to see how they compare? Any progress on that... its just so frustrating seeing all that functionality going to waste! Is there any fudge? Get an msq file and populate the tables just so i can see the analysis?

jc
Jon K
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

I talked to Phil the developer about making those maps useful - maybe I can convince him further :)
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
Bobo Drift
Firmware Version: 60

Post by Bobo Drift »

Hi,

I can't find this MegaLogViewer(DTA).

Please be more specific about were can I find this

Thank's
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »