DTAswin is very slow?

Discuss issues and tuning software like DTASWin, E-Race, MegaLogViewer(DTA), etc. Also post archive versions of firmware.
Beldin34
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Distributor: Klracing

DTAswin is very slow?

Post by Beldin34 »

I have problems with dtaswin! it´s lagging and no matter what i do it´s too slow. I have tried 2 laptops and 3 different usb adapters but no luck. I have also tried different com port settings.
If i open up dtaswin with just the ignition on and blip the trottle a few times the tps guage goes nuts, the same thing in fuel and ignition maps. It feels like it´s about 1 second behind.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: DTAswin is very slow?

Post by stevieturbo »

Does the laptop run normally with all other software ?

Does the ecu appear to function and drive normally ?
Beldin34
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Distributor: Klracing

Post by Beldin34 »

All other software works fine and the car runs great.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Weird, no idea.
DTAS54
ECU Model: S100 Pro

Post by DTAS54 »

For sake of completeness, you might consider borrowing a PC with serial port, and seeing if the software runs the way you'd expect.

I have begun using a Panasonic ToughBook CF29 dedicated for this use.

So far, very pleased. Has serial port. Touch screen offers some neat abilities in graph manipulation, and backlit keyboard is very nice in mixed lighting of the car. Best of course is the near indestructibility. Media bay aux battery boosts run time to 6-8 hours easily for a whole day at the track.

Relatively affordable, and so robust I wouldn't hesitate to strap one down in a race car and run laps with it up and running.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

How much functionality does a touchscreen offer ?

And a backlit keyboard sounds good.
DTAS54

Post by DTAS54 »

I am finding it very addictive actually...

Some times it's just simply easier to jab the screen than use the mouse pad in general...

But in particular, I am enjoying the process of smoothing a 3D fuel map after doing some data collection at a certain rpm on the street...transferring just select new points I trust, and then smoothing out adjacent cells with the touch screen...

It's very easy to manipulate the graphs that way...vs the mousepad.

The keyboard actually has a couple of brightness settings, quite nice actually.

There are a couple versions of keybord out there... A silicone one (backlit or not), that is REALLY water and dust and sand resistant, but harder to type on. Even the regular style with actual keys can get rained on and be fine. There are some amazing you-tube videos about how tough these things really are...funny stuff... OT, sorry.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Yikes, just seen the price tags ! lol
DTAS54

Post by DTAS54 »

Yeah, price is very dependent on source, as well as how it is set up.

These are OFTEN bought in lots from police departments or whatever and "gone through" by people who have a cottage industry doing just that. Some have good reputations, others not.

Like any hobby, there are a couple good forums supporting these, and it's not hard to get hooked up for around $500 to $600 for a well refurbished and configured CF-29 as you want it. I went with minimal HD and memory to save $$. Our needs are minimal.

Be careful, many scammers, and do not buy one if it's advertised as "touch screen needs drivers only to work", it is not necessarily easy to do. These are like erector sets or tinker toys though in terms of modularity, and it's super easy to work on them. Swapping keyboards for example, or whatever. The forums have all sorts of support, people do amazing things with these like GPS cards etc...

My guess is DTA users will love these. I've been offing them affordably as a side dish along with harness & DTA.