CAN

Discuss issues and tuning software like DTASWin, E-Race, MegaLogViewer(DTA), etc. Also post archive versions of firmware.
grahamb
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: Plays-Kool
Firmware Version: 71

CAN

Post by grahamb »

What exactly determines what is output via the CAN Serial connection on the S80?

Is there a preset number of variables that are automatically output, or do I need to do anything in the S80 to configure what parameters are output.

I turned on "Standard CAN stream" but my DL1 Mk2 datalogger simply sees nothing from the ECU when I run the Lite monitor.

I'm now suspecting my wiring between the ECU and the CAN adaptor cable. I spent an hour and a half last night flashing the CAN firmware, and then struggling to get the three devices to see one another.

I'm fairly confident that the CAN adaptor is working, the DL1 Mk2 and the S80 are all at the latest firmware.

The ECU interface cable that came with the CAN adaptor from Race Technology is wired across the two outputs CAN H and CAN L on the back of the S80, though I will double check the polarity this evening. The RaceTechnology documentation says that a 120Ohm resistor should be wired across the two wires. I'm assuming that the ECU interface cable from RT includes this inside the the shell. I'll also check this evening.

Any advice welcomed!

This video clip shows the screen of the laptop whilst running the Lite monitor. It only shows data generated by the DL1 and nothing from the ECU.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: CAN

Post by stevieturbo »

If the adaptor was working, then you would see the data in Lite monitor.

I gave up after a few days, and Race Technology were of no assistance whatsoever claiming the config file they sent me for the S-series CAN stream was correct ( which it was not )
I tried all that crap with resistors etc Nothing worked.
Some data would appear, then disappear. And refresh rate was shockingly slow, barely 2Hz at times. Then suddenly the channels would disappear again.

I sold the dash and CAN adaptor on, luckily I had bought the Dash second hand so didnt lose a total fortune.
MSEL
Firmware Version: 78

Post by MSEL »

My personal advice is don't bother mucking around with Race Technologies products. I have found them to be buggy and have random lock-ups. I have lost count of the number of hours I have spent helping customers with RT product which in turns makes a product which appears to be low cost, very expensive. Aim or Motec both offer solutions which work.

We had a batch of RT conversion cables supplied for an application which RT knew about and after stuffing around for half a day and pulling our hair out we found out they had the wrong firmware in them.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear but you did state "any advice welcomed!"
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

I've used an RT serial interface for my P8 for some time, it's now fine, it was wired incorrectly to start with and blew the fuse!
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

CAN interface has only 4 wires. Power and CAN.
glasan
Distributor: Directly from DTA Fast
Firmware Version: 63

Re: RT MK3+ S80

Post by glasan »

Hi to all.
I'm involved in FSAE and now try to configure DL1 MK3 with S80 via CAN. Not enough specs for CAN Stream in DTA user manual and at RT web-site so ready configuration file will helps me a lot. The Help says that is chargeable information but I hadn't response from RT for 2 days and I've already paid for CAN option enhancement. Agree with MSEL - they not so friendly as initially looks.
Can anybody help me with configuration?
lumley32
Firmware Version: 61

Post by lumley32 »

hate to say it but all the can data is in the manual!

if you still cant find it its even got its own PDF on the DTA website!

http://www.dtafast.co.uk/Downloads/Manu ... eneric.pdf
glasan
Distributor: Directly from DTA Fast
Firmware Version: 63

Re: MK3+S80 viaCAN

Post by glasan »

Thanks for response anyway, lumley32. But RT config needs more info than is described in DTA Specs. Should say first I am not an expert in CAN bus. So if you are please help me configure just one channel (RPM), the rest I'll try himself. Print screen of my RT configuration software below. Is it right? Problematic numbers circled in red.
lumley32

Post by lumley32 »

im no can expert, in fact i have hardly done anything with it on dta and never used anything from race tech

what you have done makes sense to me, apart from the data filtering bite! i dont think DTA uses that it.

what data do you get from that? 16bits of data seams to many for RPM!

im just downloading the software now to see the other options! (77MB how the hell did they make it that big!)
lumley32

Post by lumley32 »

well after looking at the config software im none the wiser! surely race tech can just email you the config file, after all it says that its compatible on there web site!

might be worth emailing Alan he might be able to shead some light!