comms issues via usb

Discuss issues and tuning software like DTASWin, E-Race, MegaLogViewer(DTA), etc. Also post archive versions of firmware.
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Re: comms issues via usb

Post by katana »

Just to throw another permutation into the mix (bearing in mind I don't know what lappy you have) is using a PCMCIA expansion card having a serial port? I tried bench testing my S60 using a USB/Serial adaptor which threw up similar errors but as another member on here was able to connect serial to serial with his lappy so I know the S60 is functional. For less than £10 delivered......and if you have a PCMCIA slot, I figure its worth a shot! ;)
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Yep, Ive used a PCMCIA adaptor too with no hassles. They do seem a more reliable option.

But...make sure you get one with a sturdy serial connector. One of the ones I used, used a very small row of pins and a flylead to the serial. The small connector eventually failed though, just wasnt very robust.
welshpug
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Post by welshpug »

I havent got a laptop myself yet, nor any funds to get one till next week though have been offered something ideal other than its 1hour battery life, it has a serial port and fresh xp install.
Roverdose
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: Roverdose

Post by Roverdose »

same problem for me now, my trusty old laptop died, no way of getting my usb controller working with win7. doesnt fully install marco's dash, so that didnt work for me either.

annoyingly id just made some changes that need a bit of work.

looks like the train for me this week :(

Drew
MarcoV6T
Firmware Version: 58

Post by MarcoV6T »

The problem with Win7 and above is that it doesn’t like unsigned drivers, and in most of the cases doesn’t even install them.
Roverdose wrote:… doesnt fully install marco's dash, so that didnt work for me either.
Can you elaborate? I’ve installed the ‘SDash inf-driver’ on a Win7 64- and 32-bit platform without any problems, but you need to do it manually.

If it didn’t install correctly(which it doesn’t automatically anyway), go to the device manager and right click on the ‘SDash USB<->DTA RS232 Bridge (COMx)’ device, select update driver, then select ‘search on my computer’(or something like that, I have it in Dutch), then you can browse and select the inf file for the SDash, it should install without problems(you’ll probably will get a warning not to install the driver, but ignore this).
Roverdose
Distributor: Roverdose

Post by Roverdose »

i must have that file on another drive as i cant find it on this one. anychance i could get it again?

cheers
Drew
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Buy an old Dell D600 or similar. SHould be able to get one for around £100 second hand and it has a serial port. Think D600-640 or something like that
vtrmassive
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: GMC

Post by vtrmassive »

At work we use dell latitude d630 atg laptops sort of a semi rugged laptop. We use them cos they too have serial port which we use for connecting to telemetry outstations which never work with the problematic serial to USB , these can be bought reconditioned now for the £150 mark , I use one for my dta and never have connection probs
Rotrex C30-84 Powered Saxo VTS
MarcoV6T
Firmware Version: 58

Post by MarcoV6T »

Roverdose wrote:i must have that file on another drive as i cant find it on this one. anychance i could get it again?

cheers
Drew
I've send you the file Drew!

For people that need a USB to serial convertor, I would buy one with a FTDI or Silabs chip, they have signed drivers for it. The inf- file I use for the SDash, is not a driver, just a script which tells Windows to use its proper drivers.

edit: http://apple.clickandbuild.com/cnb/shop ... egoryID=84

This one should work, one thing to pay attention for, is to buy a full modem compatible convertor, then you’re sure it will work with DTA and legacy DTA systems.
lumley32
Firmware Version: 61

Post by lumley32 »

today i have tried a ftdi cable rs number 687-7821 crimped 3 pins on the wires, put a d15 connector on and it plugs right into the ecu, works perfectly!