comms issues via usb

Discuss issues and tuning software like DTASWin, E-Race, MegaLogViewer(DTA), etc. Also post archive versions of firmware.
Roverdose
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: Roverdose

Re: comms issues via usb

Post by Roverdose »

yeah must be the usb/serial i have.

thank you Marco, got the driver file, after a few attempts to get the dta on the right com port it worked :)

managed to get some tuning done, might try and drive it to work tomorrow..

Drew
welshpug
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Post by welshpug »

finally got hold of an old compaq laptop notebook thingy, god its slow but it connects via usb just fine, its on win xp SP2, installed latest prolific drivers and downloaded DTASwin 66.01 straight off their website.

software running fine other than windows installer trying to fire up and install office 2000 at crtain points, i,e when I first start up, and when I connect to the ecu!
welshpug

Post by welshpug »

Left my PC with my mate Dan's Father, he started afresh with an XP SP2 which has solved the BSOD be the issue, my MB etc was not compatible with straight XP due toit being quite a lot newer than windows XP!

Purely out of curiosity I downloaded the prolific driver from their website (more up o date than the one that came on the included disc) then Downloaded DTASwin 66.01, powered up the ecu, Fired up DTAswin, changed the com port, bingo!

So I know its not a hardware issue or driver issue, just windows 7!
OldVW
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Post by OldVW »

There was a similar query on the "General" forum which I've just replied to giving my experience on this problem. I'll repeat it here if anyone is interested:

"I had this problem with windows 7 and 8, 64 bit, using a serial to usb coverter cable with the Prolific PL-2303HX chipset. After much investigation and mucking about with various new drivers I gave up and bought this:

http://www.usbnow.co.uk/p48/USB_to_RS23 ... tml?page=2

This cable has the FTDI chipset and comes with a driver CD. The drivers install via driver update in the PCs device manager so you don't actually need the CD.

The cable cost just over £12 including delivery and came next day (in the UK) and looks like a quality item.

I now can now connect the laptop to the DTA ECU first time, every time, with no problems."

It's about time DTA or Prolific (or both) got up to date.
katana
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

OldVW

Post by OldVW »

Yes, that's the one.
bean
Distributor: jdm dyno
Firmware Version: 58

Post by bean »

im having problems too. the cables im using are

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DTA-Serial-le ... 19dac80bab

and the serial to usb adapter from usbnow.co.uk

im using a laptop with vista install. the ecu is a dta s80 pro. i can connect to the dta software and get lmost of the data to display but i want to be able to test the coil pack ect. when i click start on the "test injectors coils and auxiliaries" i get the error message "map not transfered sucessfully please try again"

ive been told about turning down the fifo settings but when i go to the com port setting theres no mention of fifo. any ideas anyone?
bean
Distributor: jdm dyno
Firmware Version: 58

Post by bean »

vista seemed to be the problem. I got another laptop up and running on windows 7 and i don't get the fault any more.
mefmotorsport
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: Mefmotorsport
Firmware Version: 79

Post by mefmotorsport »

Anyone still having problems with the USB serial adaptors for DTA comms issues, please download the instruction sheet from www.dtafast.co.uk/downloads then select "manuals" then "prolific usb settings.pdf" print the document and read and follow the instructions very carefully.

It has been found that some versions of windows tries to update the driver for the usb serial adaptor to one that doesn't work with the DTA Swin software.

We have found that in all cases following these instructions and using the correct driver works perfectly.

When I sell USB comms leads I send this document out with them and have not had any problems reported recently.

Cheers,

martin
welshpug

Post by welshpug »

oddly enough, I tried to connect my ecu again, and it wont work, can't imagine what has changed.

re-installed DTASWIN, and the driver from dta's webnsite as well as teying the most recent Prolific driver, keeps saying ecu not connected or powered up, got low 12v's.