S40

Discuss issues and tuning software like DTASWin, E-Race, MegaLogViewer(DTA), etc. Also post archive versions of firmware.
Mark_r33
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 66

S40

Post by Mark_r33 »

Whilst I understand and can accept that the S40 has no on board datalogging, I can't understand how there isn't a pc based software that can record the rs232 datastream? Am I missing something here?

The only way I can do any form of logging currently is with that terrible lambda history table that likes to absolutely destroy your nice smooth fuel maps, and by using the real time chart. These disappear the moment you unplug from the car though, why you can't save them I don't know?!

I think I may have a go at wiring an OBD2 socket in and using my Innovate LM-2 to try to log it so I can sit with a brew in the office and look it over. Anyone tried anything similar with the CAN stream? I'm not sure the innovate will understand what it's saying yet.

It's bloody cold out, how can I review the tune from the warmth of my office?! :lol:
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: S40

Post by stevieturbo »

Did Marco's little dash display thingies not log as well ?
shambly
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Post by shambly »

I have a box that I made that converts the DTA CAN data stream into innovate serial format and makes the ECU look like a OT-1 as far as any innovate gear is concerned (e.g. DL-32 or log works)

I've run this in my car for several years now, and am just getting round to making a display to go with it.

I can make a box for others if interested....

Simon
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

How much info is available over CAN ?

Does the box then log as well, or does it require a laptop for logging ?
shambly

Post by shambly »

It streams the same data over CAN as it does over the serial interface, so 16 channels of measurements.

The innovate systems works at twelve samples per second, so I pass on the latest available data from the DTA for each innovate data packet.

My box didn't log as I have an Innovate DL-32 data logger that does. You could also use a laptop running the Innovate log works software.

Simon
Mark_r33
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 66

Post by Mark_r33 »

That sounds fantastic Simon!

How much would you be wanting for one?

I was looking at Arduino's, and to perhaps make something with a built in SD card for some standalone logging. It pretty much blew my mind trying to get my head round it all though, and then there would be the post processing (Which you have quite cleverly sidestepped by using Logworks!)... A fair few levels above my skill set I think!

What sort of connections are involved with this then? Obviously the OBD2 socket jobby (Or direct wired?) at the ECU end, but then what, the Innovate headphone adapter looking thing? Can you log all sensors on your DL-32 at the same time as the DTA?

Do you have any pictures of your set up?

Thanks a lot for sharing!
shambly

Post by shambly »

Mark_r33 wrote:That sounds fantastic Simon!

How much would you be wanting for one?

I was looking at Arduino's, and to perhaps make something with a built in SD card for some standalone logging. It pretty much blew my mind trying to get my head round it all though, and then there would be the post processing (Which you have quite cleverly sidestepped by using Logworks!)... A fair few levels above my skill set I think!

What sort of connections are involved with this then? Obviously the OBD2 socket jobby (Or direct wired?) at the ECU end, but then what, the Innovate headphone adapter looking thing? Can you log all sensors on your DL-32 at the same time as the DTA?

Do you have any pictures of your set up?

Thanks a lot for sharing!
I've previously put some details on my hobby website here:-

http://www.chesiloutlaw.com/tech_innovate.htm

I'd be looking at something like £99 to make one. My veroboard box used simple linear regulators but I'm just finishing a multi-purpose PCB that will be suitable for this project as well that includes a switch mode supply down to 6v5 prior to the linear regulators.

My box has two 2.5mm stereo jacks for Innovate serial in and out, and then a 9-way D-type and 3.5mm jack for CANBUS. (My CAN emulator has a 9-way D-type connection; the 3.5mm jack could equally be a pair of terminals, as it is just CAN_H and CAN_L from the DTA)

My box can either be at the head of an innovate logchain where it will generate packets itself (checks for innovate's loop back plug in its serial in at startup), or in the middle where it will add its 16 channels of data to incoming packets.

My own car has LC-1 -> TC->4 -> My Box -> DL-32 ->XD-16 display (showing AFR) so 1+4+16+5 (26) channels of data get logged by the DL-32 (or by a laptop plugged into the stream after the DL-32).

That multi-purpose PCB will also plug behind a 4.3" colour LCD to give me a multi-function set of gauges for CHT/EGT (fed by TC-4), Oil Pressure / Temperature (fed by DTA CAN), and Halda SpeedPilot functionality (fed by a dedicated speedo hall sensor) to tidy up my dashboard (it looks like a Classic SpeedPilot)…. this is my current project…

If you are practical with micro controllers / electronics i'm happy to share my innovate serial code and/or CAN code to get you started (for private use ; Note also, I'm PIC based rather than Arduino)

Hope this helps,

Simon
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

DO Innovate have any display software for a tablet yet ? ( android )

If they did, combined with your DTA bits...that would make for a damn good dash display and logger, with lots of pretty good info available via the Innovate products and stream
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

I see Innovate have their pocket logger thing for only $100.

Quite handy, then you can log anything via their datastream, and for quite some time too. Add DTA to that, and it would seem to cover a lot of information, and provide good logging for not a lot of money.
shambly

Post by shambly »

They also have a mobile version of logworks which is iOS only...

They offer an OT-2 adaptor that routes the serial stream over WiFi that makes this work.

I'll post up some pictures of my display that works from the innovate and DTA streams when I have something cool to show :-)