DTADroid - The Android App for DTA ECUs

Discuss issues and tuning software like DTASWin, E-Race, MegaLogViewer(DTA), etc. Also post archive versions of firmware.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Re: DTADroid - The Android App for DTA ECUs

Post by Alex DTA »

Hi Jon

Thanks.

To connect the phone, you currently have two options, USB or Blue Tooth.
Both require the 15 pin to 9 pin cable that plugs in to the DTA ECU. You then either attach a serial to USB cable to that, or a serial to blue tooth adapter. I use an FTDI USB cable that I got from Martin (mefmotorsport on here), but we also support Prolific. Actually I've not tested Prolific for DTA specifically, but will get one to test.

There is a setting that needs turning on in DTA, along with some header bytes being set, but that's a 5 minute job. Once you have the cables, you can do that easily.

I'm going to be running BT, simply because it's not simple to charge the phone/tablet with a USB cable attached to the phone. It can be done, but not without rooting the phone and running a custom ROM, which is not something I intend to do or support.

I currently have an issue with the BT dongle mentioned in the first post, so I've got a different one to test, so it would be worth waiting before getting one of them.
Jon K
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

sparrow wrote:Hi Jon

Thanks.

To connect the phone, you currently have two options, USB or Blue Tooth.
Both require the 15 pin to 9 pin cable that plugs in to the DTA ECU. You then either attach a serial to USB cable to that, or a serial to blue tooth adapter. I use an FTDI USB cable that I got from Martin (mefmotorsport on here), but we also support Prolific. Actually I've not tested Prolific for DTA specifically, but will get one to test.

There is a setting that needs turning on in DTA, along with some header bytes being set, but that's a 5 minute job. Once you have the cables, you can do that easily.

I'm going to be running BT, simply because it's not simple to charge the phone/tablet with a USB cable attached to the phone. It can be done, but not without rooting the phone and running a custom ROM, which is not something I intend to do or support.

I currently have an issue with the BT dongle mentioned in the first post, so I've got a different one to test, so it would be worth waiting before getting one of them.

Awesome - I do have a working USB->Serial adapter but I think its a standard male USB connector - do you use an adapter from there to interface?

Let me know what BT you go with - I would like to test for you if possible to introduce different configurations and hopefully discover issues earlier. Let me know if you're interested.
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

Yes, standard usb to micro USB adator for my HTC. Yours may be different. I think I got 3 for £2 on ebay. :lol:

The free dash is effectively going to be the beta product that anyone can use. If they like what they see, they can then purchase the full app. :)
Jon K
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

That sounds good - do you know approx when it'll be available?
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

Realistically a month or so, so aiming for the end of July.
Marcio Leal
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Post by Marcio Leal »

Congratulation for the iniciative. Dta staff should theirselves develop Android interface and improving the windows interface also. very old and ugly compare to others like MS and Vems.
I was very upset that DTA and Android would never have an interface but you are the guy! thanks a lot
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

Thanks. :)

Lack of updates is due to me having BT adapter issues. One of them works perfectly, except if you connect it to the ECU before connecting to the app. Something from the DTA data stream is confusing the adapter when it's not connected to the app.
The new one just doesn't want to connect at all. *sigh*

We'll get there in the end.
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

I'm finalising the dashboards that are being shipped with the app. I've got two portrait dash layouts, each with 8 gauges on. You can switch between them by swiping right and left:

There's currently one landscape dash:

I'm thinking of doing a second landscape one. Anything in particular you'd like to see? No promises!! :D
With the full app you will be able to design your own dashboards, with loads of built in dials and gauges.

Also, if anyone has a Prolific Serial to USB cable I can borrow to test that code, it would be appreciated.

Real long shot here, but does anyone on here do graphic design, and is able to update/create SVG files?
Marcio Leal
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Post by Marcio Leal »

:D Did you solve the Bluetooth communication issue? If you use a Bluetooth to USB with configurable baud rate I think it could help.

good to see you are.making progress. good look
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

Thanks.

Not yet solved the BT issue. I've parked that for now as the USB connection works, and most people will have the USB cables required. I'll include instructions on the website.
It's not a BAUD issue. The BT adapter is seeing something from the DTA ECU that blocks the app from connecting until the serial cable is unplugged. I'm going to experiment with disconnecting pins to see if that makes any difference.