Experience with tablet and DTASwin on windows 7 tablet.

Discuss issues and tuning software like DTASWin, E-Race, MegaLogViewer(DTA), etc. Also post archive versions of firmware.
j.wilson

Experience with tablet and DTASwin on windows 7 tablet.

Post by j.wilson »

Hi, I just thought I’d offer my recent experience with DTASwin on an Acer Iconia W500 32 bit tablet running Windows 7 home edition. :geek:

It runs fine, the only criticism I have is the difficulty of the interface on a tablet; for example I had to move the task bar to the side of the screen or it would obscure parts of the screen tables. Other than being a bit fiddly (little tiny boxes), it is functional and works well.

Note: not all USB ports are the same. On all but one of the USB ports the tablet would freeze occasionally. This would require a reboot and all would be fine again.
A bit of a random journey took me to the USB port in the centre of the bottom edge of the tablet and this has been 100% reliable- no freezes. I’m no computer expert but it made a difference to my machine but I’m not sure why. :P

Problems: so one day at random the dashboard failed to open when I loaded DTASwin, all other functionality with the program seemed ok, but when I opened the dash board it crashed with an error message. :(

This was somewhat of a problem as I couldn’t get to the lambda sensor reading without the dashboard. I had to abandon the tuning session.

Back on the bench I tried to resolve the error message that DTASwin had thrown up (failure of several ocx files), but these files were not unique to DTA. I tried re-loading DTASwin but this had no effect on the problem.

I then looked at the event viewer and saw that Win 7 service pack 1 had not been loaded onto the machine- or actually every time it had tried to load it the process had failed. I had two problems now :shock:

I chose to pursue this problem to get windows operating properly before I tackled the DTASwin problem. No point in complaining to DTA if my tablet was on the blink.

It took me two days in all to resolve this problem. And I still don’t really understand it all. :oops:

Anyway, for those who have a similar problem this is the story:

I first down loaded two types of anti malware software to clear out any virus the system might be harbouring, then I removed any adware. I then turned my attention to a new anti virus package and did a full scan. None of this software showed any significant infection. Yet still it would not download SP1. :?

I then went onto the Microsoft web site and it has a couple of downloadable tools to help Win7 updates- a “fix it” utility and a “prep” utility. I down loaded and ran both but still no SP1 update. :?

I tried a few things like removing recently loaded software, I use that Garmin Basecamp… I wonder if that has corrupted something? It still didn’t load SP1 after I removed it and other stuff. :?

Almost giving up and going for a Win7 re-install I instead down loaded the SP1 from the Microsoft web site and saved it as a resident file on the machine. I opened the file and executed the update locally- note you have to open the file as an administrator not as a normal user. :geek:

Anyway, it seemed to hang after 15mins or so and I went to bed.

The next morning I tried to wake the tablet up- it went into the sign in screen and after I logged in it went to a black screen and hung. :shock: I re-booted with the on/off switch and it came back to life and let me in normally.

Another SP1 failure as far as I was concerned :? - however when I went into the auto update utility it did not offer me SP1, so I tried to initiate another update- I got the message that the system was already in mid update. I shut down and rebooted.

This time again, after log in it went to black screen. :shock:

I rebooted again, this time it stopped during the log in and told me it was installing the update. :shock: This then proceeded normally (as you would expect when rebooting during an update).

It went thru normally and showed SP1 installed. :o
I rebooted and everything was again normal with SP1 shown as installed. :)
I tried DTASwin and the dashboard loaded normally.
Everything fixed. :D :D

So, I seem to have had some sort of corruption of Windows 7 files that the dashboard relies upon. :geek:

I’m not sure whether this was due to another piece of software I have loaded onto the tablet or not, or whether this was due to an interim update loading without SP1 installed, or whether it was a bad sector due to vibration on the bike? :?

The only thing I will say is that the last time I used DTASwin it operated normally and closed down without incident.

SP1 had been failing to load for a very long time (lots of evidence in the event log) :oops: but I’m not sure if this problem predated my installation of DTASwin as it was one of the first things I loaded onto the tablet when I got it out of the box.

I’m not in any way implicating the DTASwin software in this problem- my research into the win7 update problem showed lots of people pursuing the same problem with the Microsoft support blog- so it’s a common problem that MS are still not on top of. :roll: I think DTASwin program simply highlighted the problem I had with Win7.

I got SP1 Installed and whatever I did in the process sorted the problem.

Other than this hitch, I have really benefitted from having the DTASwin on a tablet, as a laptop is just not practical on the bike for sorting those “driveability” issues.

The WOT settings were the easiest to establish on the dyno, and the starting and tick-over ones were easy on the drive- but those transients and drivability issues persisted until I could get the system live “on the move”.
gnutz2
ECU Model: S100 Pro

Re: Experience with tablet and DTASwin on windows 7 tablet.

Post by gnutz2 »

I run windows 8 on an Dell Venue 11 mounted as a dash in the car, fortunately I've never had any such problems.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=732&start=10

Stick with it :)