Two Hall effects down one 6 core screened cable OK?

Wiring best practices and loom building technique
Basil

Two Hall effects down one 6 core screened cable OK?

Post by Basil »

I have some good quality Raychem six core screened cable, can I use it to wire two Hall effect (GT101) rear wheel speed sensors down the single cable, or should I use separate 3 core cable for each sensor? If it makes a difference the six cores are twisted in a spiral along the cable inside the braid.

The GT101's have about 5 inches of unscreened cable off them, does that bit matter, or should I cut it back far enough to just get the Deutsch DTM 3 way connectors I want to use on? Thanks.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Two Hall effects down one 6 core screened cable OK?

Post by stevieturbo »

Good question. But the 5v feed and ground can be common to both sensors. The only possible issue with interference is the return signal.

So if unshielded, a 4 core would be sufficient.

And shielding is generally from outside influences, higher voltages etc. I'm sure you'd be fine to run the signals from the hall sensor all within that multicore.
Basil

Post by Basil »

I haven't got any 4 core :(
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

lol, was just saying that 4 core would be sufficient.

I just ran individual 3 cores from ecu to each corner of the car. These are screened, but dont think I actually connected the screen. I just wired the outputs up to 4 x 3pin AMP seal connectors and then plugged in the 3core to each sensor there.
Only used connectors to make routing the wires a bit easier, plus in case I ballsed up the corner/pins so it's an easy fix.
mefmotorsport
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: Mefmotorsport
Firmware Version: 79

Post by mefmotorsport »

I can't really see the necessity to use a screened cable for hall effect sensors as they give out a massive 5v square wave, it's not like you're going to get noise pickup as the big signal should override any noise. The input resistance of the DTA ecu is relatively low at 1000 ohms too.

Martin
Roverdose
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: Roverdose

Post by Roverdose »

on my first p8 wire up i used household 3 core cable, worked perfectly!

Drew
Basil

Post by Basil »

Jeez, we'll soon be on string and two tin cans, was my purchase of Raychem six core screened totally wasted? :( :)
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

You could maybe make a skipping rope from it ?

Although I cant see why you would choose a 6 core for a hall sensor ( or two ) anyway. It isnt very often you would have two such sensors in close enough proximity to warrant a multicore like that. More often they just get dedicated 3 cores, as they will be routed to different places.

As for an application requiring a 6 core screened. Perhaps shielding ignition triggers or something ?
Basil

Post by Basil »

Ebay bargain buys strike again. Pulling cores out of the cable is probably not a good idea. I am sure I'll find a use for it in the end, like some of my other ^must have^ late night purchases LOL.
Roverdose
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: Roverdose

Post by Roverdose »

if were that much of a bargain just use 3 of the 6 wires?

Drew