Wiring for grouped injection - S80

Wiring best practices and loom building technique
VR6Turbo
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 62

Wiring for grouped injection - S80

Post by VR6Turbo »

Sorry for the silly question but I'm looking to go to grouped injection from sequential.

The manual says this:-
The Manual wrote: Non Sequential
Use O/P’s 1,2,3 etc, up to the number of cylinders to any injector
But that's in ECU firing order rather than cylinder number?

As sequential, I wired them like this:

Injector driver 1 - Cyl 1
Injector driver 2 - Cyl 5
Injector driver 3 - Cyl 3
Injector driver 4 - Cyl 6
Injector driver 5 - Cyl 2
Injector driver 6 - Cyl 4

What changes do I need to make to run the injectors as grouped?

It's a bit confusing because the "only Seq above rpm" feature implies it can run as grouped until it sees a cam signal, but if I turn off sequential and stick some more fuel in the base map to get the AF right again, it runs very rough.
Wally
Firmware Version: 51

Re: Wiring for grouped injection - S80

Post by Wally »

Just leave all the wiring the same and turn off "sequential" in the " Sequential + Fan " settings.

I found that oue V8 engine did not run half as smooth using batch fire as it did when using sequential.

Why do you want to run grouped injection ?

Wally
x30xe
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Post by x30xe »

btw isn't it false term grouped... because as far I've understood ECU fires all injector drivers same time.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

x30xe wrote:btw isn't it false term grouped... because as far I've understood ECU fires all injector drivers same time.
What...like "grouping" all the injectors together ? lol

Just leave the wiring exactly as you have. No changes are needed to wiring for sequential or batch if they are wired 1 injector per output as you have.
VR6Turbo
Firmware Version: 62

Post by VR6Turbo »

OK cool, thanks guys. That makes things a lot easier then!

The reason for going batch injection is because my new engine has a 4 tooth cam trigger wheel and I can't find any information on mapping it. My plan was to run the 6 coils as twin spark (wasted) and batched injection to get me the 180 miles to my mapper, then we can figure out the cam side of things on the dyno.

With my old P8Pro running batched, the loom was supplied with the ECU and the 6 injectors were grouped into 3 pairs. That ran nice and smoothy, but for some reason the S80 with seq turned off runs rough as hell. OE ECUs seamlessly switch from seq to batch and it's so smooth you don't notice, so something isn't right about the way DTA do it.

Oh well, I'll try and do it as sequential then. I'm sure the cranking scope should get me in the right ball park!
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

The fuel map for seq on, and batch will be totally different.

I dont imagine OEM ecu's switch seq on and off very often, if at all. But if they did have that provision, you can be sure it will be full mapped for either scenario.