COP on 911 turbo Twin Plug

Wiring best practices and loom building technique
c2turbo
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 89

COP on 911 turbo Twin Plug

Post by c2turbo »

I currently have a S80 running 2 gm 6 bank coil packs and would like to switch over to COP is it do-able ? if so do i need to run smart coils or dump coils and how do i wire them ? do I need an external coil driver ?

Thanks for any information

Did not know if there was anyone on the forum that had tried this
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: COP on 911 turbo Twin Plug

Post by Rob Stevens »

Do you have the plugs firing at the same time or is there a desire to offset at all?
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

You can do it in the same way you are doing it now, but you will have to use amplified coils, or an external amplifier as the ECU cannot charge two dumb coils.
You may need a pull up to 12v as well, but you'll just have to try it to see.
c2turbo

Post by c2turbo »

Thank you for the response's I do not need an offset on firing the two plugs .the coil packs That I am using currently are wasted spark. I was hoping that someone could give me example of a amplified coils and will I have to change the pinout and harness ( I have a mil spec harness and would like to limit repinning.

Currently each coil pack had 4 wires per each gm coil pack one coil pack for the top 6 plugs and the second coil pack for the bottom set of plugs so I assuming one 12v and 3 triggers per coil pack.

Thanks For all the help
Dave
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Your easiest would be either LS type coils, which are well proven, or say the Honda/Denso K-series pencil style coil if they could work for you.

One Coil near plug with a short lead, the other COP with no lead.

Then you could do this with minimal wiring alterations, just split the trigger for each cylinder for 2 coils instead of 1, as well as power and ground etc.
You could make a short harness to plug into your existing coil wiring. Although most amplified coils do prefer their trigger referenced to sensor ground as opposed to chassis ground which might mean a little more wiring.

Subaru 2001+ coils are also amplified, pencil style but only use 3 wires. Chassis ground, 12v and ecu trigger so might be an option too.

All of the above are good powerful coils and should be readily available either new or used. Always buy genuine, not copies.
c2turbo

Post by c2turbo »

That works one last question currently ing output 1 triggers cylinder 1+4 and ing output 2 triggers cylinders 6 +3 and output 3 triggers 2+5 this is on coil pack 1 for the upper plugs and ing outputs 4/5/6/ trigger the same on coil pack 2 for the lower plugs

so for wiring do i change the outputs to trigger the coils together? the two coils for cylinder 1 to output 1. The coil output 2 to coils top and bottom for cylinder 6 and so on. Or should I tie coil output 1 to top plug 1 and 4 cop's and coil output 2 to cop's for 6+3

Hope this make sense

thanks again
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

What stevietrubo says is correct.
Another coil option widely used is the VW/Audi 4 wire coils. The 4th wire is simply grounded to the cylinder head, so you could make the up with no additional impact on the wiring.

You can choose to keep them firing as is now, or swap to firing both coils on one cylinder.
If you swap to one output firing one cylinder, losing that output will lose an entire cylinder.
It depends if you want to know that, or just want two cylinders to run on a single plug.
c2turbo

Post by c2turbo »

ok so I settled on a Denso 4 pin toyota COP trying to figure out setting Dwell time,
any pointers?

thanks David
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

Start at 3000, and lower until you get a misfire at high load. Then up a bit.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »