COP on 911 turbo Twin Plug

Wiring best practices and loom building technique
c2turbo
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 89

Re: COP on 911 turbo Twin Plug

Post by c2turbo »

Ok so i finaly got a chance to work on my project and having an issue, i cant make the cop to fire with the ingition and injector test i am 99% sure on the wiring being correct and have 12 volts between the power and ground but no voltage change when running the test on the signal wire. Is there a configuration change i need to make when changing from coil packs to cop i am running a Denso 4 wire toyota style cop. Any ideas
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

How have you wired them up?
Assuming you have an S80 and 12 coils, I suspect you've got two wired per output.
Try removing one from each output so only one is connected and try the output test again.
Toyota coils are amplified, so you'll need to tick that box in the General Engine Settings.
c2turbo

Post by c2turbo »

Thanks alex it does fire one set of cops what is the solution?
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

c2turbo wrote:Thanks alex it does fire one set of cops what is the solution?
Depends on the problem, the coils you are using, and the wiring and what you want to change.

You've mentioned a Denso 4 pin.....but exactly what coil is this, and how have you it wired, and configured within the ecu ?

And how are you testing ?
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

c2turbo wrote:Thanks alex it does fire one set of cops what is the solution?
The current requirement for two coils is too high. You'll need a 1k pull up resistor from each signal wire to 12v to reduce the resistance.
c2turbo

Post by c2turbo »

Alex and steve thanks for the responses

Alex just to be clear the 1k resistor shoud be at each cop or at the signal wire before the split to the pair of cop's?

Steve the Denso cop's i am using are from a Lexus 430 and are a four wire smart coil. I have a dedicated 12v 40 amp (12 gauge) supply and ground and then the signal wire from the S80 split to the top and botom coil for each cylinder. I have external amplifer turned on in the software and i am testing it in the inj and coil diag in the dta software

Thanks again
Dave
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

c2turbo wrote:Alex and steve thanks for the responses

Alex just to be clear the 1k resistor shoud be at each cop or at the signal wire before the split to the pair of cop's?

Steve the Denso cop's i am using are from a Lexus 430 and are a four wire smart coil. I have a dedicated 12v 40 amp (12 gauge) supply and ground and then the signal wire from the S80 split to the top and botom coil for each cylinder. I have external amplifer turned on in the software and i am testing it in the inj and coil diag in the dta software

Thanks again
Dave
Is the 4th wire for the coil something else, or is it referenced to ecu sensor ground for the actual triggering ?

Sounds like you're on the right track and they should work.
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

c2turbo wrote:Alex and steve thanks for the responses

Thanks again
Dave
At the signal before the split