Motec Universal Crimper

Wiring best practices and loom building technique
Jon K
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Motec Universal Crimper

Post by Jon K »

Thought I'd share this tidbit - I ordered the "Motec Universal Crimper" from Apex Speed and low and behold its a Delphi crimper P/N 12085271

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Del ... 2FcEpWw%3D

I crimped a couple of the DTA S80 pins in position C and E. C is too large, E was just right. It is a ratcheting crimper. It flattened the pin just a little bit, but it still fit into the Tyco/Amp shell just fine.

Just trying to save people the trouble/money if they want to try it!
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
ignitionautosport

Re: Motec Universal Crimper

Post by ignitionautosport »

I use a blue handled tyco thing that does both crimps at once. Was expensive, but works well. I wouldn't rely on a connection with one of those crimpers you have there for the ECU, it doesn't go small enough - mind you I'm using 20 and 22AWG mil-spec wire for most of the connections.

I use that crimper you have shown for larger roll-crimp type terminals, Lucar, splices etc.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
Jon K
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

ignitionautosport wrote:I use a blue handled tyco thing that does both crimps at once. Was expensive, but works well. I wouldn't rely on a connection with one of those crimpers you have there for the ECU, it doesn't go small enough - mind you I'm using 20 and 22AWG mil-spec wire for most of the connections.

I use that crimper you have shown for larger roll-crimp type terminals, Lucar, splices etc.
Got any images/part numbers?

The crimpers I am using seem to work well

1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
ignitionautosport

I'll try and find out. Will put images up.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
MSEL
Firmware Version: 78

Post by MSEL »

We use a Tyco Pro-Crimper frame with a die set.

This is what Motec in Australia sell people for their ECUs which use the same connector as the DTA.

Depending on the size of the terminals and wire you are using you often have to double crimp - crimp in a large die, then drop down to the next size die to complete the crimp.

If you are using large wire the Packard tool supplied above MAY do the job, but I would not recommend it.

Has anyone here tried the Knipex branded tool with dies for barrel crimps? The tools are expensive here in NZ, but if they are better than the Pro-Crimper solution we will move to them.
ignitionautosport

I got mine from MSEL, who I see is on here now ;)
www.msel.co.nz and contact them for pricing etc.
welshpug
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Post by welshpug »

I have used a Laser branded ratchet crimper, cost me £25 from SimetekUk, does the job just fine :)
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

MSEL wrote:We use a Tyco Pro-Crimper frame with a die set.

This is what Motec in Australia sell people for their ECUs which use the same connector as the DTA.

Depending on the size of the terminals and wire you are using you often have to double crimp - crimp in a large die, then drop down to the next size die to complete the crimp.

If you are using large wire the Packard tool supplied above MAY do the job, but I would not recommend it.

Has anyone here tried the Knipex branded tool with dies for barrel crimps? The tools are expensive here in NZ, but if they are better than the Pro-Crimper solution we will move to them.
On the old forum I posted links to the Knipex tool and dies. I originally found them for sale on a South African Motec dealers site
very nice piece of kit, but yes not cheap.

oops, edit, it was German

http://shop.durbahn.de/shop/en/products ... Crimptools

We did have part numbers for each bit on the old forum. Not sure if anyone retained them ?
Bollah
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 71

Post by Bollah »

Sorry to bump this one back up, but would the following crimper be any good for doing the DTA connector pins?

http://kojaycat.co.uk/epages/950000457. ... 71-Crimper
welshpug
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Post by welshpug »

looks like it would, just less clamping force and not as nicely finished as the expensive things