Motec Universal Crimper

Wiring best practices and loom building technique
CraigPowers
ECU Model: S80 Pro

T10 Micro-Terminal crimper

Post by CraigPowers »

Thanks for this long-lived thread.

The consensus seems to be that the T10 Micro-Terminal crimper seems to do the job nicely, and is cheap enough for the infrequent user.

I haven't got time to wait for shipping from the US, so do we know of anything equivalent that is available from UK suppliers.
If not then I will order from the US and wait, and try to crack on with other jobs on the car.

Regards,
Craig Powers
Car hillclimb & sprinter, OMS2000m, S80 ECU
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Motec Universal Crimper

Post by stevieturbo »

Never did find a UK supplier, but there are all sorts of crimpers that may be close.

In the end I just ordered a few crimpers. That way I'm almost always covered, as they arent expensive compared to be being stuck with no crimper lol.
CraigPowers

Post by CraigPowers »

I've taken a punt on an ebay item descried as Micro/Mini Crimping Tool for small terminals. The photos show that it goes down to 1mm crimps.
Normally available from Japan, I have found a Birmingham seller, albeit at a premium.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

The thing is, it is the round aspect you really want for these pins. Not totally essential if using small wire, but a round hole crimp will definitely help, even if you only used it after a regular W style crimp to force the round shape.

And the T-10 has that round hole.
CraigPowers

Post by CraigPowers »

I will probably order a T10 to finish them off. Thanks Stevie
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

As said, you may not need it. Years ago I did my first one with pliers and soldered them. A pretty poor job, but I as able to get them all to fit, albeit some after removing the rubber shield inside the housing.
Although as I did not need any weatherproofing etc, that wasnt a concern.

So if some pins are a struggle, just remove that. Plus years ago the wire I used was also far less than ideal stuff I got from work, rather than proper thinwall automotive cable ( plenty of good stuff about without the need to go to Raychem etc )
molecular bob
Firmware Version: 31

Post by molecular bob »

Is there a recommended TE tool for releasing the Superseal 1.0 terminal from the connector shell? I have a tubular tool that kind of works but it doesn't feel quite right and needs a bit of force. I have seen this one 189727-1 from TE that looks like it should work, but not sure it is correct?
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

Odd - when you unlock the locking tabs the wire and sockets usually just pull out with little effort - no tool needed!
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

As Katana says, no tools are required.

With the locking tab pressed over, the wires/pins should go in and out quite easily.
SMR
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: DTA

Post by SMR »

I use a jewelers screwdriver of just the right diameter (and the end ground flat) to gently push out the pins from the ECU side once the tabs have been pushed back. Pulling the wire also usually works.