Punto GT / S60pro/ Sequential inj./ Wasted Spark.

Wiring best practices and loom building technique
Page
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Distributor: Local Dealer GR
Firmware Version: 62

Punto GT / S60pro/ Sequential inj./ Wasted Spark.

Post by Page »

Hey Chaps,

I would like your opinion on these drawings.
The Car is Fiat Punto GT with Bravo/ Brava engine 1600cc, 16v, twin cam, Natural Aspirate.
The purpose is to convert it to Turbo, but we are not looking of a lot of horses to come out of it. We are more looking of Torque to come as low as 1500-2000rpm, clean, no fancy, no glorious, passing MOT 's, no loud exhausts and smooth controllable comfort ride, direct response, every day car.
I believe you get the picture .
For the above reasons, I've made a few things to the engine as i have changed the crankshaft with a more reliable Billet steel and longest stroke to increase engine capacity from 1580cc to 1863cc, Billet conecting rods and wossner Pistons.
Camshafts are the OEM but with adjustable cam pulleys. Exhaust valves are changed with new Sodium filled valves. The intake manifold has shortened by 200mm, throttle is the OEM 54mm. The turbo is a Mitsubishi TD04 19T twin scroll. Exhaust of Φ63mm all the way with catalyst and two silencers.
The aim is up to 230hp/ 6000-6300 rpm and 350-400Nm of Torque as low rpms as possible.
Also everything from pipes to wirings must be clean and looking like it's OEM.

So i made few drawings for you to see and correct me if i'm wrong, or any suggestions will appreciate.
Remember that there is no meaning of do and undo things here. This must be from the start as possible clean and correct would be !

(Forgive me for the label on the side ... lack of paper :mrgreen: )

- Main wirings .

- Independent Fan Control.

- Electic Steering Motor.

- Ignition Module/ wasted Spark.

- Few wirings on valves/ Lamda/ Injectors/ Tps
( i' dont know the meaning of "Valve Fast Side" on Boch 3pin valves, i guess is the return ?

(That's the part one of drawings. The next part is for sensors)

Thnks
George.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Punto GT / S60pro/ Sequential inj./ Wasted Spark.

Post by stevieturbo »

Not really sure what the question is ?

1. No idea what you've drawn at the top from the key to some sort of relay then to ecu ???
3. No idea why you have a 5A fuse at the bottom for the ecu ??

Follow the DTA wiring drawing, it is very very clearly drawn out.

4. The DTA will control the fan, I wouldnt waste my time with a thermo switch. Unless you are using this as well to run the fan when the ecu is off ?

5. The likes of idle valve, boost solenoid, lambda etc. There really is no need for a separate fuse for each. They draw minimal current. If it makes the wiring easier for you though, by all means do it as drawn.
6. Coilpack. DTA can fire this without using the external Bosch amp if desired.
7. Idle valve and Fast idle valve pins are clearly marked in the wiring diagram. Whether they actually need both I dont know. You'd need to know exactly whether the valve you intend to use is this type.
Page

Post by Page »

stevieturbo wrote:Not really sure what the question is ?

1. No idea what you've drawn at the top from the key to some sort of relay then to ecu ???
3. No idea why you have a 5A fuse at the bottom for the ecu ??

Follow the DTA wiring drawing, it is very very clearly drawn out.

4. The DTA will control the fan, I wouldnt waste my time with a thermo switch. Unless you are using this as well to run the fan when the ecu is off ?

5. The likes of idle valve, boost solenoid, lambda etc. There really is no need for a separate fuse for each. They draw minimal current. If it makes the wiring easier for you though, by all means do it as drawn.
6. Coilpack. DTA can fire this without using the external Bosch amp if desired.
7. Idle valve and Fast idle valve pins are clearly marked in the wiring diagram. Whether they actually need both I dont know. You'd need to know exactly whether the valve you intend to use is this type.
1) You're right, that's stupid what I've done there !
Ok ... got it.
2) There are no cable to the car i have to start from scratch . Therefore you see that relay to make the switched +12v from the key.
The Connection Box is divided into two rails, the Battery +12 and the switched +12.
3) No idea of what it needs.
The dealer gave me the ECU, two plugs with pins and a user manual that explain what each plug do.
Okay at the bottom of the drawing there is a 30amp Fuse but i thought that this was ... Never mind !
Okay got it ... 30Amp Fuse.

4) Yes i'm using this wiring to control the fan when the ECU is Off.
5) Ok to this too ! But i will keep the Heated oxygen sensor fuse and the coil pack fuse.

6) Good ... No need of the Module. Got it ... Directly from ECU to Coil Pack.

7) The Idle valve will be the Bosch 0280 140 505. There is a 3 pin plug and i don't have the wiring in the user manual . (Which wire goes from idle valve to the ECU.)
Either way is it easy to tune this idle valve?

Are the cables the right AWG ?
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

I'm not familiar with AWG sizes. But for the most part there is little that draws any large amount of currents. Your steering and the cooling fans will draw the most.
then perhaps ignition system, ecu and injectors. The rest will be very very small.

Other than that, the only wires of any size will be the main grounds into the ecu, but even that is limited by the size of wire you can attach to the ecu pin and actually fit into the connector housing.

Having lots of different wire sizes can also be more expensive if you have to buy lots of rolls of cable. If you're just building a single loom, using only 2-3 wire sizes is just easier as saves buying cable.

Ive never used that idle valve. Googling suggests that centre pin is 12v, with the idle control and Aux3 ( also set to idle control ) would be the other two connections. As to which way they go I dont know. It may not matter. One way will probably just open the valve, the other close it. So your 0-100% PWM may be reversed if it is incorrect.

I think JonK is using a 3 wire valve, so maybe he can help.
Jon K
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

Realize too that some 18 AWG wire can hold more amperage than others because of its jacket material. Ie., a PTFE jacket Mil-Spec wire is rated for more current than a PVC 18 AWG wire.

I am running a Bosch 3 wire valve. One wire is +12v (the middle) then one is open and one is close. You can test your valve on a bench to see which terminal opens it and which closes it. Then you wire it to the DTA accordingly.
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
Page

Post by Page »

Jon K @
On the idle valve looking on it with the one key lock on top the Open side is the right one and the close is the left side but in the manual isn't clear what is what ...
There is an "Idle valve " output and a "Boch 3 pin idle valve (Fast side)"
Perhaps the fast side is the close side for the idle valve ?
Page

Post by Page »

Ok ... here it is ,
On 3 pin Bosch idle Valve ( 0280 140 505) and
looking at the plug of the valve with the two key locks on the top, pins are :
Left is the FAST SIDE/ AUX 3 = Pin 33 (open)
Middle is the +12v = Pin 31
Right is the IDLE VALVE = Pin 8 (close)

on the 3 way connector Pin 1= close
Pin 2=12v
Pin 3= open