Flying leads

Wiring best practices and loom building technique
x30xe
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Flying leads

Post by x30xe »

Again this topic... which is very important. I know many people decide to buy another product because DTA does not supply semi-finished loom as many other brands. Some people don't just have the patience to make all wiring from scratch, which is actually very good as it would result to a owl's nest looking loom and countless problems.

If someone knows a source for flying lead looms... please, let us know.
Antral

Re: Flying leads

Post by Antral »

I believe DTA do a pinned spliced loom kit inc. connectors for the end user to complete and have done for a couple of years now for all ECU,s. ;)
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

A proper flying lead kit should be an option though.

Wiring is a right pain in the arse !! And likely a big source of problems for first time installers etc who try to make their own looms.

There was a Greek place advertising them a while back, but the website seems to have shut down some time ago.

Some other makers do sell good flying lead kits, and wouldnt be too difficult to re-pin the connectors into DTA's pinouts.

Or Martin/mef makes looms as far as I know.
VR6Turbo
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 62

Post by VR6Turbo »

Do you guys not use a factory loom and just swap the ECU plugs over?

Even if transplanting a different engine you should be able to get a factory harness to go with it?

Although I have made a loom myself, it's not something I want to repeat as it killed my back! (did it in situ). These days I just reterminate the engine's original harness which is so much quicker and easier....and made to a very high standard.
x30xe
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Post by x30xe »

I've done couple of owl's nests from scratch and after that decided to give that job to a friend with pro level tools, skills and materials etc.

Otherwise it is quite easy for beginner, but joining all +5 supplies, +12 wires and common grounds and shields. that is hell if you need to do it cleanly.

Even a child can crimp minitimer sockets to flying lead wires.